Timelapse with Nikon D3300

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
DSLRJunkie

Timelapse with Nikon D3300

Post by DSLRJunkie »

hello guys,

i was going to buy an intravolmeter, remote controller or whatever you call it.. i saw that the price starts arround 30€ for a legit device. So i watched some videos and found out that you can do that with OTG and original USB cable of your kit and an android or windows device. Now the problem is i read somewhere there are issues with compatiblity of the nikon or limited functions. I dont wanna make videos, i just want to make Timelapses of Nightsky in an area with extremly low light polution.
Does it work with DSLR Dashboard software on laptop the same with android version? if yes.. i will buy it.. if not.. i have to give the cam back and look for another.. but my budget is under 400€

Thanks for now :)
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Timelapse with Nikon D3300

Post by hubaiz »

The D3200 (as the other D3x000 models ) is a budget model and so some functions (for remote controlling) are limited or disabled by Nikon (like video recording, bulb capture).
For timelapse I think the D3200 can be used without any problem.
My advice would be to download one of the desktop version (Windows, Linux, OSX) as it is free and to do some test to see if it suits your needs.
If it works on desktop as you expect the Android version will have the same functions over USB if you have an Android device with the USB host functions and an USB OTG adapter.
To check if you Android device has the required USB host functions check this: http://android.stackexchange.com/questi ... tg-support
DSLRJunkie

Post by DSLRJunkie »

thanks for reply, can i have more information.. you said that timelapse on d3200 should work but not on d3300.. im going to buy it i havent buy it yet.
DSLRJunkie

Post by DSLRJunkie »

you havent reply if the 3300 can do it.. you just sayin that 3200 can do it..
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

The D3300 should also work.
DSLRJunkie

Post by DSLRJunkie »

Can you count all things which are not working over remote control???...
like is liveview possible?(Sometime it crashes etc..)
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Don't know. I don't have any of the D3x00 models and Nikon does not release any documentation for developers for the budget models.