Connecting Sony A6500 to dslrdashboard Android

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
iddo

Connecting Sony A6500 to dslrdashboard Android

Post by iddo »

Hi,
I am trying to connect my Sony A6500 (latest firmware, latest playmemories) to the dslrdashboard 3.53.
It doesn't seem to work - nothing happens when I press Sony on the dslrdashboard (even when the camera is supposedly connected to the phone (one plus one).

Ideas?

Iddo
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Connecting Sony A6500 to dslrdashboard Android

Post by hubaiz »

- on a6500 start the 'Smart remote control' application
- connect your Android device wireless with the a6500 wireless
- start qDslrDashboard and press the 'Sony wireless' button

* be sure that the Sony Playmemories application is not started and not connected to the camera
iddo

Post by iddo »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

There seems to be a contradiction here:
You state:
1. start the 'Smart remote control' application
And than you note at the end:
be sure that the Sony Playmemories application is not started and not connected to the camera

So what is it - should the app be running or not?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Smart remote control application is the one running on your a6500 -> https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/ ... _00-F00002

Sony Playmemories application is the one running on your Android device -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ies.mobile
iddo

Post by iddo »

Thanks for that however: When I try to connect the phone to the camera (without the Playmemories app) using WIFI (BT is off on the camera and the phone) I see connecting on the camera and it stays this way. The phone says connected to camera but dslrdashboard doesn't connect - I get "searching for Canon/Sony wireless" and than finished searching...

Ideas on what I am missing here?
iddo

Post by iddo »

Solved this.
The problem was resolved after I did a reset to the phone (I am guessing that playmemories was in the phone memory even thought it was not on.

Seems to work fine now - I need to test it with a computer to see how all the functions work.
iddo

Post by iddo »

Just a P.S.
Did anybody try to use both dslrdashboard and an external monitor at the same time (so controlling the camera from say a tablet or a computer and having a second larger monitor for another person just to view the image). Is this possible with the A6500?
makani.ph

Post by makani.ph »

Hi,
I successfully managed to link my a6500 to my Android 8.0 smartphone and got most features working.
One question though regarding movie recording mode.
Once I switch this on on my camera, I can see the LV aspect ratio change to 16:9, but how can I operate the recording button from the app ?
I only seem to be able to record through that tiny little red sinked button on the edge of my a6500, which I custom attached to the trash button via the camera's menu.
When the camera is linked to the app, these custom buttons are also disabled apparently.

It would be nice if I could start en stop recording from the app's LV.
Anything possible on that part ?

Best regards,
makani.ph

Post by makani.ph »

makani.ph wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 15:55 I only seem to be able to record through that tiny little red sinked button on the edge of my a6500, which I custom attached to the trash button via the camera's menu.
When the camera is linked to the app, these custom buttons are also disabled apparently.
It would be nice if I could start en stop recording from the app's LV.
Anything possible on that part ?
Solved this by restarting the qdslrdashboard app, after I switched my a6500 to video recording mode.
https://imgur.com/a/NZVVjSZ
The LV video icon lits up and the below cam recording button can be used.

Apparently it is not possible to toggle between picture and video mode while the app is running.
You need to restart the app after toggling.