Wrong exposure on qdslrdashboard app

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
adinis78

Wrong exposure on qdslrdashboard app

Post by adinis78 »

Just noticed that the qdslrdasboard doesn't show the correct exposure when connected. Please see photos attached. As you can see te camera is showing a correct exposure but on the second one the qdslrdasboard is over exposes by +.33

I have a D7200, lates qdslrdasboard version and latest ddserver on the tp link mr 3040.

Any suggestions.
IMG_2062.JPG
IMG_2062.JPG (54.1 KiB) Viewed 9573 times
IMG_2063.JPG
IMG_2063.JPG (49.13 KiB) Viewed 9573 times
GonzoG

Re: Wrong exposure on qdslrdashboard app

Post by GonzoG »

No, it's not wrong, and it cannot be wrong. qDD does not shows exposure by it's self. It only shows what is on camera.
If it shows + 1/3 EV than it is what was send by camera.

Also if you compare exposure measurements in LV with those via viewfinder - check camera manual - they won't be always the same.
dslr

Post by dslr »

what i've observed...

same behavior when making changes both on camera and qdd...

when i changed the exposure compensation to non-zero, it will be reflected in the live view display...
if i continued to change to other non-zero values, again live view will update accordingly...
however, if i changed to 0, the display will NOT show 0...it will continue to show the last non-zero

in other words, the reading is correct...live view EV is just not refreshed correctly when resetting back to 0
my guess is at some point you must have set EV to +.3 then reset it to 0
dslr

Post by dslr »

actually the readings displayed on the greenline at the bottom are independent of whether live view is on or off...

a good way to compare the differences is to also display the camera properties and look at the EV value on the exposure line...this value correctly changes even when the green EV bar&value at the bottom of the screen doesn't...

i'm using d500...you're using d7200...
the next question is does this occur on non-nikon...
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

qDslrDashboard displays the exposure value that it gets from the camera as GonzoG already told.
Live view has nothing to do with the exposure value displayed on the bottom.
dslr wrote: 29 Jun 2017, 10:35 when i changed the exposure compensation to non-zero, it will be reflected in the live view display...
if i continued to change to other non-zero values, again live view will update accordingly...
however, if i changed to 0, the display will NOT show 0...it will continue to show the last non-zero

in other words, the reading is correct...live view EV is just not refreshed correctly when resetting back to 0
my guess is at some point you must have set EV to +.3 then reset it to 0
Note that the exposure value displayed in the bottom is a calculated value by the camera that shows what the camera thinks about the exposure with the current settings.
It is not the currently set exposure compensation representation.
dslr

Post by dslr »

hmmmm...the scene and the light condition didn't change (eg, night indoor lit by a lamp, not affected by sun light)...
the only change was the exposure compensation...
(i'll run more tests...eg, without doing anything, exit qdd then connect qdd to the camera again to see the green bar&value reset to 0)
dslr

Post by dslr »

sorry if it's difficult to see...may need to download and zoom to see the details...
changes to EV values were made using qdd only...

blue boxes - no exposure bar on camera...value 0 on qdd green exposure bar

IMG_0024u.jpg
IMG_0024u.jpg (132.06 KiB) Viewed 9524 times

red boxes - non-zero EV values (+3) on camera and qdd
blue boxes - exposure bar on camera (overexposure)...non-zero value on qdd (overexposure)

IMG_0029u.jpg
IMG_0029u.jpg (136.76 KiB) Viewed 9524 times

red boxes - EV value set to 0...both EV values are refreshed/updated to 0
blue boxes - no exposure bar on camera yet qdd is not 0 like image 1, ie same non-zero value on qdd, not refreshed/updated

IMG_0038u.jpg
IMG_0038u.jpg (129.84 KiB) Viewed 9524 times

exit qdd then restart forces it to refresh everything...qdd will show 0 on its exposure bar