Nikon Bracketing

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Space_Cowboy

Nikon Bracketing

Post by Space_Cowboy »

I have a D7200 and using the Sky Stacking feature. Even though I have bracketing turned on my camera and and have the app in camera mode (not host mode), it's only taking 1 exposure per sky stack event. I set the stack event for 1 frame, but I would assume that since I'm in Camera Mode it would still take the number of bracket shots I have set (which is 3 with an EV of -/+ 1).

Thanks
dslr

Re: Nikon Bracketing

Post by dslr »

Space_Cowboy wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 13:55 I have a D7200 and using the Sky Stacking feature. Even though I have bracketing turned on my camera and and have the app in camera mode (not host mode), it's only taking 1 exposure per sky stack event. I set the stack event for 1 frame, but I would assume that since I'm in Camera Mode it would still take the number of bracket shots I have set (which is 3 with an EV of -/+ 1).

Thanks
info only -

keep an eye on the camera/host mode icon...when the shot is triggered, it actually switches from camera to host to issue the command then switches back to camera...also, the number of shots fired is indepedent of sky stacking (and camera/host mode)...

background -

on the camera - when BKT is on, eg set to 3 shots, and even with Cl (continuous low) or Ch (continous high) set, when the camera shutter release is pressed 'normally', only 1 shot is fired...for all 3 shots to be fired, the shutter release needs to be pressed and hold till the series is done

on qdd - the same concept applies...by default, when the shutter release 'camera' icon is tapped, only 1 shot is fired...in the camera properties, set the number of continuous shooting frames to be the same as the number of shots in the BKT series...then each time the camera is triggered, the number of shots in the BKT series will be taken, ie it's equivalent to press and hold the shutter release

once that works, build the sky stacking...

p1.JPG
p1.JPG (16.2 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
p2.JPG
p2.JPG (17.28 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 'Continuous Shooting' is not the same as bracketing.

It sounds like dslrdashboard need to emulate the shutter button being continuously held down for bracketing shots.

I also find it odd that you cannot use Custom Bracketing and Sky Stacking at the same time. I have no idea if this is the way its meant to be or not.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Space_Cowboy wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 23:45 Correct me if I'm wrong, but 'Continuous Shooting' is not the same as bracketing.
You are right, 'Continuous Shooting' != 'Bracketing', but in order the camera to take 3 or more images (that are set for bracketing) you must enable 'continuous capture' so that the camera does it automatically or you can do it manually by pressing the capture button.
Space_Cowboy wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 23:45 It sounds like dslrdashboard need to emulate the shutter button being continuously held down for bracketing shots.
qDslrDashboard does not need and does not emulate anything, qDslrDashboard only sends the command to the camera and the camera executes it. As I already wrote you can instruct the camera to do it automatically by enabling 'continuous capture' or you can do it manually by pressing 3 or more times the capture button.
Space_Cowboy wrote: 22 Aug 2017, 23:45 I also find it odd that you cannot use Custom Bracketing and Sky Stacking at the same time. I have no idea if this is the way its meant to be or not.
Will check if this would be possible for maybe a future version, currently only one custom mode is supported.