Setting up qDslrdashboard and NMX Controller

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Dominic

Setting up qDslrdashboard and NMX Controller

Post by Dominic »

Hi guy's,

I've just taken delivery of the NMX controller to upgrade my Dynamic Perception Stage One slider from the MX2 controller. I thought I would find lots of info on using this combination together but having tried to search on the term "NMX" I get a message saying it is too common a word and no results show up. If I search via google I get references to two posts dated back in 2015 but can't find further info. So can I ask for some help please.

First off, does qDslrboard talk to the NMX controller? Either via bluetooth or another mean's? If so, what do I do to get it working?

If it doesn't physically (or via bluetooth) link up together, I presume it works the same way as before i.e. qDslr controls the camera (Sony A7Rii via the remote App) and the NMX looks after the motion and timing of the hardware. If this is the case, can I sync the timing up? Again I presume there is no camera trigger cable from the NMX to the camera when I'm using Qdslr or is there both the cable attached to the camera from the NMX and I use the remote App at the same time?

Can't wait to get this up and running, I hope someone can spare a moment and let me know the correct way to setup the kit.

Thanks.
Dominic

Re: Setting up qDslrdashboard and NMX Controller

Post by Dominic »

Bump, any help out there?
chasg

Post by chasg »

Hi Dominic,

Personally, I let my NMX trigger the camera and control the moco hardware (stage One and Sapphire), and just get the camera to transfer the small jpeg to qDD for analysis (it doesn't do any triggering).

My A7II needs about 4-6 seconds of dark time for transmission and analysis, I would expect the RII to require more, but I'm sure you already know this :-)

Good luck!

Chas
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Thanks Chas, very helpful. I’m hearing a lot about dark time, which is time for the camera to process the Raw plus 2mb jpeg and send to the iPad with qdslr correct?

So this dark time is part of the overall ‘interval’ between shots on the NMX. So and example for a day time Timelapse would be 1/200th exposure, plus trigger time, plus move, plus darktime (which can be part of the move time), so 1/200 + 0.3, 6/7 secs = 6.32-7.32 seconds interval. Is that correct?

So when I’m doing a holy grail sunrise and I start out with say a 10 second exposure plus extra time I’m looking at 16.32-17.32 second interval? So my question is when it starts to get lighter and the shutter speed drops to 1/20th second. Does the interval remain the same or does the NMX reduce this?

Thanks

Dominic