TP-Link TL-WR902AC AC750 v.3

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Encpenc

Re: TP-Link TL-WR902AC AC750 v.3

Post by Encpenc »

Hello. I'm completely newbie in terms of Linux etc. I just got mine Wr902ac v.3.0. Can I make it all work thru windows or I really need Linux? I would like to use files compiled by you since I'm completely unexperienced.
wlayher

Post by wlayher »

Hi, if you want to use the precompiled image you just need Windows. You will have to install tftpd64 for a first install, as you can't install the openwrt firmware over the stock firmware. Just follow the steps in my how-to. If you run into problems, ask again.
Encpenc

Post by Encpenc »

Thanks for fast answer! I'll try it today
Should i change Mode switch ?? It's currently at Share ETH. There are also Share hotspot and AP/Rng Ext/Client
wlayher

Post by wlayher »

I have the switch on AP/Rng Ext/Client. This setting worked when I tested the latest image a few days ago.
Encpenc

Post by Encpenc »

It works perfectly on Share ETH too then :)
Now just gotta figure out how to connect to ATP or smth like that
Last edited by Encpenc on 14 Apr 2020, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Encpenc

Post by Encpenc »

Is it possible to connect via Eos utility? My plan was to connect via wifi to Astrophotography Tool and control my camera from there. But it doesn't detect camera... So it's only working but specifically for dslr dashboard?
Oki

Post by Oki »

@Encpenc: I recently bought TP-Link TL-WR902AC to try this, as I have wifi in my 7D mark II (W-E1 card in SD slot) It was a bit tricky to configure properly, but now I have this setup working. I tested the range with Canon Camera Connect (Android) and I was impressed. Below is an video that illustrate +- max range in forest I was able to operate camera and have "live view" (about 3 secs to get frame at max distance) :) I can only guess that with custom firmware with qDslrDashboard it would be faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQSbtZBqKBM
Oki

Post by Oki »

wlayher wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 11:54 Hi,
is it really that difficult? Writing the how-to for this device and trying the process also on Windows took me a lot longer than getting the source, compiling it and flashing it with Linux in the first place. All the documentation for this is out there. The only reason converting this device to OpenWrt is a bit complicated is because the original firmware by the manufacturer does not accept the OpenWrt firmware for flashing as an upgrade, probably because it does not have a certain signature. So you have to jump through some hoops.
On a Mac you have to activate the tftpd server that comes with OS X. I don't have access to a computer with MacOS but how to do this can be found with your favorite search engine. How you do it on Linux is covered in my how-to that is linked in the first post of this thread.
For Windows users who don't want to bother with the whole compiling thing, these are the essential steps: get this file here, rename it to "tp_recovery.bin". Then download tftpd32/64 from here and install it. Configure the working folder for tftpd32/64 in the settings, then put the file "tp_recovery.bin" in this folder.
Then connect your TP-Link to your computer or your network switch with a LAN cable and set the IP address of the LAN network adapter (you can't use wifi for this, because there is no way to input a wifi password on tftp flash) on your computer to the static address "192.168.0.66" and network mask of "255.255.255.0" (in settings for TCP/IP4 protocol). Then select the same interface in the dropdown menu of tftpd32/64. After this you can connect the power to your TP-Link while you press and hold the reset button in the little hole between the two USB sockets with a paper clip for about 6 seconds. As soon as you see a progress bar for the file download on tftp32/64, you can release the paper clip. Now you just wait until the process is finished. During this time you can set the LAN network adapter on your computer back to its original settings. After about 5 minutes the device will have booted with the new firmware and you can connect your mobile device to the TP-Link via wifi to change the password(s). The preconfigured wifi password is "dslrdashboard", the preconfigured wifi name is "OpenWrt", the default account for logging in with your browser via (https://192.168.1.1) is "root" with no password. At the first login you have to accept the self-signed certificate in your browser.
If you have further questions about a step that does not work as expected, please ask.
Hi,
I am struggling with flashing OpenWrt firmware to my TP-Link TL-WR902AC AC750 v.3. :( I did all steps, but while I power the router with reset button pressed, no file transfer begins in Tftpd and server interface changes to 127.0.0.1 automatically. And yes, I have renamed the .bin file to tp_recovery.bin and move it to current working directory of Tftpd. Can someone help me with it please? Thank you.
wlayher

Post by wlayher »

This sounds like you have the "loopback adapter " installed and you changed the ip for that interface. The loopback adapter usually has the ip 127.0.0.1. You must change the ip for the physical interface that connects to your router. In my setup that is called "Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection", the name on your system is probably something else. But it must be the adapter for the cable-based network. And you also must select the correct interface in tftpd afterwards, of course.
Oki

Post by Oki »

Thank you for suggestion, I can start digging now. I tried to flash it with TP-LINK connected with ethernet cable to my laptop. Before, I changed IP of this network as described above.

One thing that is maybe causing the problem comes to my mind - I use WampServer for web developing which basically runs web server on localhost (127.0.0.1). I just switched it off before flashing, but it is obviously not enough. The easiest way to bypass this issue will probably be using a different computer for flashing :D