DSLRDashboard + 5D Mark III

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
dhendrik

DSLRDashboard + 5D Mark III

Post by dhendrik »

hi :-)
i want to buy a tablet only for dslrdashboard. which one should i buy (normally i use ipad and iphone) - so i use the tablet only for dslrdashboard?!

a second question - i use a 5d mk 3 for timelapse and holy grail. is this fully supported with this cam? are there any problems with the connection or the functions?

wlayher

Re: DSLRDashboard + 5D Mark III

Post by wlayher »

Hi,
I have the same camera and I use the app with a Nexus 9 tablet and a Oneplus 2 phone. I know people who use Nexus 7 tablets or Samsung S2 tablets for this. You don't need the latest or most expensive devices for this. The Android device must support USB OTG if you want to connect via cable and you need an OTG adapter cable. I prefer to use a wifi router to connect.
To your 2nd question: I have not found any problems so far for timelapse with a 5D Mk III.
dhendrik

Post by dhendrik »

do you use a cable from tablet to mark3?
do you use the holy grail function vom LRTimelapse Menü?
wlayher

Post by wlayher »

Hi again,

the tablets I mentioned in my first answer all work with a cable. I use the cable that came with the camera plus an otg cable on the tablet. But I prefer to connect a wifi router to the camera and connect the mobile device via wifi. This eliminates the risk for a loose contact in the usb plug on the tablet through movement and gives me more freedom to move the tablet away from the camera. I also have the option to connect the tablet to a power bank for longer timelapses.
Yes, I have used the holy grail function from the LRT menu. It works as expected. But I use an external intervalometer (Syrp Genie or Genie mini). Ramping of exposure and ISO works fine. I have the app set to keep the tablet screen on. This way the tablet does not go to sleep, interrupting the connection.
dhendrik

Post by dhendrik »

Thanks for the informations :-)
Please tell me more about wifi. which router ?
i want to take timelapse from day to night - maybe 4-6 hours...
wlayher

Post by wlayher »

You can use any of the routers that are mentioned in this forum. I have been using a TP-Link TL-MR3040 for some time with another Android app, but as the two apps each need their own firmware, I recently bought a TP-Link TL-MR3040 .v3 especially for qdslrdashboard. I posted a how-to for setting it up for qdslrdashboard here, including firmware images.
I also use an adapter from Tether Tools to connect my camera to the same USB power bank that feeds the router. If you want to go 4-6 hours, probably one camera battery is not enough.