Tp-Link TL MR3020 Router Encryption Question

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
cyclingg

Tp-Link TL MR3020 Router Encryption Question

Post by cyclingg »

After not able to setup the Nexx 3020 router, I bought the Tp-Link MR3020 router and set it up.

I initially tried a couple of update files that had "15.05.1in the name and it gave me an SSID of "DDServerAP". I was able to connect to my Galaxy Tab E; but, when I attached my camera (7D Mark II), it was not recognized. So, I checked some more posts in this forum and found another update that hubaiz told others to try.

I found that the files "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin" and "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" that hubaiz pointed to, worked for my setup. With these files, the SSID became "OpenWrt" instead of "DDServerAP".
I needed to "enable" wireless (it was disabled). In the Firewall-zone settings, under General Settings, I needed to change Forward to "Accept", as hubaiz stated in a thread. Now I am able to connect wirelessly to my camera. Just have to remember to change the wireless connection in the tablet to the OpenWrt instead of my home network.

Now, the router settings states that there is no encryption. I went into the OpenWrt wireless settings and changed to WPA2-PSK and the key was filled in as the same as the password I set to access the router page. I saved everything; but, I still see the settings state that encryption is disabled in the status window even though it states WPA2-PSK in the wireless settings page. I did try changing the key for the encryption; but, I was asked if I wanted to change the password. I said no because I did not know what that would do. I don't know if it was because I tried to change it through my tablet and not when I connected the router to the computer instead.

So, how do you set the encryption in this router? I can do this on my home network router but not on the TP-Link router. (It's probably something really simple, LOL).

Thanks.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Tp-Link TL MR3020 Router Encryption Question

Post by hubaiz »

I guess you have OpenWrt on it, you should connect it with network cable to your PC and then open a web browser and open the OpenWrt web administration page at http://192.168.1.1
Then navigate to Network->Wifi
If the wireless is not enabled then enable it and in the list of the wireless interfaces press the 'Edit' button
In the wireless interface page under 'Interface configuration' select the 'Wireless security' tab.
Select the encryption 'wpa2-psk' or what you want
cipher is 'auto'
and enter the 'password'
Finally press the 'Save & apply' button