How to connect Nikon Z6 to qDslrDashboard on Windows PC (Wi-Fi, USB)

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Nordic

How to connect Nikon Z6 to qDslrDashboard on Windows PC (Wi-Fi, USB)

Post by Nordic »

Hey guys,

I try to connect my new Nikon Z6 to qDslrDashboard on my Windows 10 64bit computer. I downloaded the newest version of qDslrDashboard (V3.5.7), installed vcredist_x64, but was not able to connect, neither via Wi-Fi nor via USB.

I tried to connect via Wi-Fi using the camera-created Wi-Fi and connected my computer to the camera. To link the camera to the computer I had to download and install the Nikon Wireless Transmitter Utility. The connection to the computer worked and I was abled to upload images to my drive (via this software). The connection to qDslrDashboard was not possible as it could not find the camera. The IP was correct. Even after uninstalling the Nikon software I was not able to connect to my camera. After uninstalling the Nikon WTU the Z6 just keeps connecting to the computer and will not show an successfully established connection anymore.
I have the same problems with my notebook (Win 10 64bit too).

Further on I tried to connect via USB but that did not work either. qDslrDashboard could not find the camera connected to the computer. I have a D5100 and qDslrDashboard works fine via USB connection with this camera. I installed the winusb-drivers for both cameras of course and my device manager showed the cameras correctly as USB devices. The cameras were connected one by one and not simultaneously.

Did I miss anything or is the Z6 just not yet supported in V3.5.7? Was anyone able to connect the camera to a windows computer and can share his experience please? If so, a step-by-step guide would be really nice. I.e. is it necessary to install the Nikon WTU first, can it be uninstalled afterwards or which way would you recommand for Wi-Fi connection to a computer (direct, via existing infrastructure Wi-Fi etc.)?

Unfortunately I do not own an Android or IOS phone nor such tablets, therefore I am dependent on getting it to work with Windows systems.

Thank you very much for your help!
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: How to connect Nikon Z6 to qDslrDashboard on Windows PC (Wi-Fi, USB)

Post by hubaiz »

For wireless you should just enable the camera wireless without using the 'wireless transmitter utility'.
Enable the camera wireless and connect your Windows machine wireless to the camera wireless.
After that start qDslrDashboard and press the 'Nikon wireless' button.
*Note that if your PC connected with wired network and it has the same IP as the camera (192.168.1.1) it will not work.

For USB the only requirement is to install the WinUSB driver for the Z6 as instructed here: https://dslrdashboard.info/windows-inst ... sb-driver/
Nordic

Re: How to connect Nikon Z6 to qDslrDashboard on Windows PC (Wi-Fi, USB)

Post by Nordic »

Thank you very much for your fast reply.

I uninstalled all Nikon software from my PC.The camera won't accept a Wi-Fi connection via "connect to PC" if I don't pair it via Nikon's "Wireless Transmitter Utility". When not using this software the connection to qDDb will be established for few seconds while the camera is still in the pairing menu. If I start to take pictures or change camera settings the camera will of course leave the pairing menu and disable Wi-Fi in the process. The camera will only keep the Wi-Fi enabled if the pairing via Nikon's utility was successful but then I won't be able to connect it with qDDb.

The solution was to pair it via "connect to smart device" using only Wi-Fi (no Bluetooth) although I don't want to connect it to a smart device but my Windows PC. But in this mode the camera just keeps the Wi-Fi open and I can connect with qDDb to it. :roll:

For the USB connection I installed everything as it was described in the instructions and it worked for my D5100 without any problems. I just used a direct USB-C to USB-C cable as my PC has a built in USB-C connector. Using this cable didn't work. But when using the USB-C to USB-A cable from Nikon which was delivered with the camera the connection is working as intended.
I really don't know why this is happening as I'm able to download all my pictured via my own USB-C cable and have no problems with other USB-C devices.

But I should have tried using the Nikon cable before my first post, so please apologize and I hope my questions will help other guys running into the same problems. If anyone is able to connect via an USB-C cable directly I will be really happy if you would share your experience.

Thanks for the great work and the fast updates!