How do i stop large RAW images downloading to tablet when focus stacking

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
andrewfrith

How do i stop large RAW images downloading to tablet when focus stacking

Post by andrewfrith »

Hi, I have a D800e connected to a Samsung galaxy 10.5 via the TP-Link 3040 and am running dslrdashboard 2.09

I've just started using the system and it looks like a nice piece of software. I am trying to do some focus stacking sequences. I have my D800e set-up for uncompressed RAW saving to my SD card slot and jpg to be saved to my CF card slot.

I am using the instructions for focus stacking in the word doc manual.

When I start the capture, the first image is taken and the tablet starts downloading the very large RAW file to its local folder. Is this the correct behaviour? I want the RAWs recorded to the SD card in the camera but dont need them downloaded to the tablet too.

It downloads the first RAW to the tablet and then the application quits. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: How do i stop large RAW images downloading to tablet when focus stacking

Post by hubaiz »

Is the capture button in qDslrDashboard 'red' ?
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

Uncheck "image review after capture" or set camera to RAW+JPEG than qDD will download only JPEG.
andrewfrith

Post by andrewfrith »

Hi Hubaiz, no it doesn't look like the capture icon is red.

Thanks
Andrew
andrewfrith

Post by andrewfrith »

I'm following these instructions

A simple focus stacking workflow:
⦁ User starts the camera live view and enables the focus stacking interface (‘Focus stack’ button under live view category in camera properties display
⦁ Using the live view focus movement buttons the user focuses on the part of the image that will be used as end focus point
Note: after this point the camera AF (auto focus) can’t be used
⦁ User long presses the focus point ‘1’ button so that qDslrDashboard remembers the focus point (focus point ‘1’ button will turn red)
⦁ Using the live view focus movement buttons the user focuses on the part of the image that will be used as start focus point
⦁ User sets the desired focus stacking image count
⦁ User sets the ‘End focus point’ to focus point ‘1’ and leaves ‘Start focus point’ at current (qDslrDashboard will set the focus stacking direction and focus step values)
⦁ Users starts the focus stacking capture with the ‘Capture’ button

I have Raw + Normal quality jpg set under the Qual menu on the camera and I RAW's being saved to the SD card and jpgs saved to the CF card.

I am just testing with 5 steps and have '30' set as the step interval and i set a delay period of 20 secs.

After i hit the capture icon (which is not red after following the above steps), the application quits on my Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 (16gb version)

cheers
Andrew
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

I did test with D7100, setting the second SD card mode to overflow and to R+J.
Image format was set to RAW+JPG basic (small)
No RAW file was downloaded.
Tested with image review enabled and the qDD did download and display the JPG image but the RAW was not downloaded.

Here is the version I used. In this version I added the 'Second card slot function' property so you can change from qDD in 'Camera property display' under the image category.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMZ8X ... sp=sharing

If for some reason the RAW file is downloaded then run this debug build: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMZ8X ... sp=sharing

It will generate a qdd_<date_time>.log file in your Android device Documents folder. Please send it to me.
andrewfrith

Post by andrewfrith »

I downloaded 2.902 and it is not downloading the RAW now. Very pleased and wonderful program.

cheers
Andrew
peeetz

Post by peeetz »

Hello hubaiz,

I just purchased the program and tried it for some time now. I seem to have the same problem. Program keeps on downloading big Raw files and Jpgs. Version of qDslrDashboard is v3.5.3.

Camera Nikon D7100. Setting: files saved as Raw + Jpg (basic). Function of card in slot 2 set to safety copy.

Is there an option to stop downloading files or downloading only on request (no automatic downloading of files)?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Kind regards,

peeetz
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Did you maybe long press the qDslrDashboard 'Capture' button, is it maybe red?
If yes it means it should download the images after capture.
peeetz

Post by peeetz »

I have no idea whether I pressed the button too long. Probably I did. At least the problem did not occur any more during my last milky way shooting.

Thanks for the help and keep up the good work.

peeetz