Focus Stacking does not create RAW files

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
PeterShea

Focus Stacking does not create RAW files

Post by PeterShea »

Hi, all,

I'm new here, so be gentle! I have searched the forum in an attempt to find an answer to this problem, but only set references to the opposite problem (large RAW files being downloaded to tablet during focus stacking).

I have a Nikon D500, and am attempting focus stacking, but when I do select the live-view/focus stacking option, the menu for picture quality/size changes from RAW to JPEG, and will not allow me to change back. I have unset the preview after setting, and set the storage to be camera only, but the image stored are in JPEG fine format. Anyone any ideas what setting I might have set/unset that is causing this problem? Or anything else preventing me from taking a stack in RAW format?

Thanks in advance, Peter.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Focus Stacking does not create RAW files

Post by hubaiz »

A screenshot of the camera properties or maybe a video that demonstrates the problem.
PeterShea

Post by PeterShea »

OK, I eventually managed to figure this out ... as well as Live View, I also had the button below "Host Mode" set. I'm not sure what this button is supposed to mean (looks like "LV" with a camcorder underneath it), but with this set, the image size/settings change to JPEG. Without it set, I can happily record NEF raw files.

Is there a (downloadable) manual for this product? Quite a lot of the settings are not intuitive or obvious, especially to someone new to it, so a manual would be very helpful. And would probably stop a lot of newby questions like this one!

Peter.
Last edited by PeterShea on 05 May 2020, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

That button is for switching between photography / movie live view mode. Movie recording is only possible in movie live view mode (the button is red).
PeterShea

Post by PeterShea »

hubaiz wrote: 05 May 2020, 16:17 That button is for switching between photography / movie live view mode. Movie recording is only possible in movie live view mode (the button is red).
Thanks, Hubaiz.

I also found the manual - for anyone else reading this thread, you can find the manual in several languages on the downloads page (https://dslrdashboard.info/downloads/) - pretty obvious, really! :roll:

Peter