Question for Andorid Users - OTG Monitoring

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
jordaninglee

Question for Andorid Users - OTG Monitoring

Post by jordaninglee »

Hey Android folks - do you use OTG connection? Is the refresh rate better/smoother than over Wifi?

I'm trying to use DslrDashboard as an external monitor; it's been solid for me on iOS, but if it's more stable and better refresh on OTG, I'm considering picking up an Android for this alone.

Also - still no go on OTG/OTC with IOS right?
russellsnr

Re: Question for Andorid Users - OTG Monitoring

Post by russellsnr »

I use it with Wi-Fi for stills only (no video) Problems with Wi-Fi your phone/pad can drop connection if idol for a time, any connection be it your computer or your camera will work better via cable, nothing really to interupt the signal.
If you are going to go down the OTG route buy a good quality cxable not one of the cheap ones from online China sources or even the one that came with your camera. That was my big mistake when I tried to connect to my desk top computer (a cheap cable) for macro indoors.
jordaninglee

Post by jordaninglee »

Yeah... I use it on IOS for monitoring, and with the Nikon Z6 it's great for stills, and decent for video. Just looking for a better framerate and if OTG would improve that.
jordaninglee

Post by jordaninglee »

Hey @hubiaz - any insight on this? Is the refresh rate better with an OTG Android connection for live video?