My experiences with qDslrDashboard so far...

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
ultrazone

My experiences with qDslrDashboard so far...

Post by ultrazone »

Hi there!

I'm a new user (first post!) and I've been using this amazing app during the last weeks, so now I wanted to share my experience with all of you, just in case someone can benefit from it! Let's start with my equipment. It consists of:

- Canon EOS 200D (latest firmware 1.0.3);
- LRT Pro Timer 2.5 (latest firmware 22);
- iPhone Xr (latest iOS version);
- Latest ControlMyCamera's TestFlight build.

Overall, the app works great! I've mainly used the "LRTimeLapse" window to shoot sunsets via AHG, which worked flawlessly. I've used 3-way ramping and the app has changed the values as long as exposure changes "automagically" in this order: first the exposure time, then the aperture and finally the ISO. Everything in a smooth way, everything within the ISO & aperture ranges and reaching a maximum exposure length as selected.

One "inconvenience" of my camera is that you can't set it to shoot RAW+smallest possible jpg (the only choice is RAW+biggest possible jpg). Due to this fact, it was necessary for me to increase the pool size and the previews transmission's interval.

The only "problem" that I've found so far is that sometimes the app seems to not communicate well with the camera, in such a way that within the aperture settings you can find values that aren't available for my lens. Selecting one of these "ghost aperture settings" leads to a malfunction of aperture's ramping.

To avoid this problem, I wrote down the valid aperture's values for my camera. Just by selecting these values it works like a charm.

So this is my "review". Needless to say, this app has changed & improved my workflow drastically. Highly recommended!

Can't wait for the official version! If I can do other testing or helping in any way, let me know!

Keep safe & cheers from Spain!