WiFi Range Extension?

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
SCEtoAUX

WiFi Range Extension?

Post by SCEtoAUX »

Hello all.

I'm new to the forum having stumbled across a recommendation for this brilliant software. So much better than the terrible Snapbridge.

Anyway, I suspect this has been asked before but when I search for "range" I find results about IP address ranges and dynamic range of photos, so apologies if there is indeed an answer out there.

I have a D500 and the built-in WiFi range is poor. I can't use use the app sat at my desk and connect to my camera when it is pointing at my bird table (which is what I want to do).

I have a range extender (TP Link) but it seems that there has to be a direct WiFi connection from phone to app. Can anyone advise on if it is possible to extend the connection range. I don't mind buying stuff :-)

Many thanks.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: WiFi Range Extension?

Post by hubaiz »

To use the camera built in wireless the controlling device needs to directly connect to the camera so there you can't wireless range extension.
You could connect your camera with USB to a portable wireless router running ddserver and use it's wireless to control the camera with qDslrDashboard.
SCEtoAUX

Re: WiFi Range Extension?

Post by SCEtoAUX »

OK thanks. I shall research that option.