Best video quality for t3i, planetary imaging

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Jay6879

Best video quality for t3i, planetary imaging

Post by Jay6879 »

Hello, just want to say this application looks fantastic. Can't wait to give it a go. I do astrophotography using a Canon t3i using an asiair pro, right to my phone. The idea of lugging around a laptop outside sounds so archaic to me so any solution where I can use my phone is right up my alley. I'm new to all this only been at it for 8 months or so, and it's a lot to take in.

I hqve a few questions, I use the 600d (t3i) and I hear of people using a 5x live view mode, is this just using movie mode and hitting the digital zoom button once so it's at 5x zoom? I thought that zoom wasn't recorded, it was only for the preview on the lcd? Is live view recording a different setting?

From what I understand just using the camera to record video, whether full on or using the x3 crop mode, results in bad compression but recording to something like BackyardEOS or dslrdashboard allows for higher quality video and in avi format. Am I understanding this correctly?

In your opinion what is the best way to capture video of the planets? Is the process the same for lunar images?