Shoot RAW+JPEG(basic) but only display JPEG on tablet?

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Deltron

Shoot RAW+JPEG(basic) but only display JPEG on tablet?

Post by Deltron »

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to shoot RAW+JPEG (basic) and only have the jpegs displaying on the tablet for speed and ease of loading and searching through images? I used to be able to do this with CamRanger but can't find the options for it on DSLR Dashboard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Deltron
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Shoot RAW+JPEG(basic) but only display JPEG on tablet?

Post by hubaiz »

In options enable 'Image review after capture'
Set capture format to RAW+JPG
Deltron

Post by Deltron »

Hi, yes they are the settings that I am currently using but this displays both RAWs and JPEGS in the small thumbs carousel at the bottom of the capture screen, so if I accidentally touch a RAW image (which happens quite a lot with my fat fingers) it slows my workflow down dramatically as I wait 10secs or so for the image to load so I can then cancel it. Camranger has an option to remove RAW image viewing completely which prevents this from happening.

Don't get me wrong, I think your software has many improved features over Camrager but workflow pace is incredibly important to me and I can imagine to many others also. Is there anyway you could include a fix for this issue? I really want to convert to your systems.

Regards,

Deltron
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Next version will add the image filters present in gallery (all, jpg, raw) to the capture history and image viewer.
Deltron

Post by Deltron »

Thanks, I really look forward to that!

Del
Sand

Post by Sand »

Hello! I have the same problem: I shoot with Nikon D800E in Nef (RAW) + JPEG format and want only the JPG files down load so it goes faster. I have the „qDslrDahshboard V0.2.5

How can I change that?
Thank you for your help!
Deltron

Post by Deltron »

Hi,

I used your software all day yesterday on a professional interior photography shoot and I have some constructive feedback...

- I accidentally swiped to a RAW image 12 times during the shoot so to stop this from happening as mentioned previously above it would be a big time and frustration saver to have the RAW option completely removed from all previews in capture mode.

- To be able to view image settings of previous shots taken such as shutter speed and f-stop per image taken would be a great analytical tool. Perhaps there is already a way to do this? I couldn't find these options.

- The app crashes whenever my iPad self locks. This means I have to then close and re-open and re-scan for the camera every time I leave my iPad untouched for a few minutes. My quick fix was to change the self lock time on the iPad to 'Never' but this means it is on constantly and chews up battery.

- Once I restart qdlsr dashboard after a crash I can no longer review the images I had taken previously, my cards appear empty even though they have images stored on them. Is there a setting to display all card images previously shot so I can review them after a crash or app closure?

- When review sharpness I find it difficult to see what is truely sharp and what is not. Is this to do with image compression that is damaging the quality of
viewed image? Or just to do with low quality jpeg basic settings?

All in all this app is really good and helped me complete a successful photo-shoot, so thank you for that. If you wish me to start a new thread on any of the above please let me know.

Regards,

Deltron
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Deltron wrote: - I accidentally swiped to a RAW image 12 times during the shoot so to stop this from happening as mentioned previously above it would be a big time and frustration saver to have the RAW option completely removed from all previews in capture mode.
Deltron
As I noted in my previous post there will be image filters (all, jpg, raw) for capture history and image viewer.
Deltron wrote: - To be able to view image settings of previous shots taken such as shutter speed and f-stop per image taken would be a great analytical tool. Perhaps there is already a way to do this? I couldn't find these options.
Next version will have exif information display
Deltron wrote: - The app crashes whenever my iPad self locks. This means I have to then close and re-open and re-scan for the camera every time I leave my iPad untouched for a few minutes. My quick fix was to change the self lock time on the iPad to 'Never' but this means it is on constantly and chews up battery.
Unfortunately iOS does not allow application to run in background (only music, gps, bluetooth - qDD does not in any of this) so when iOS goes to sleep it stops qDD. One way is like you did, or you can enable in qDD options the 'Keep screen on'.
Deltron wrote: - Once I restart qdlsr dashboard after a crash I can no longer review the images I had taken previously, my cards appear empty even though they have images stored on them. Is there a setting to display all card images previously shot so I can review them after a crash or app closure?
There is an option 'Load image infos already on camera SD card' that if enabled will download the images infos for images on camera SD card. You can also press the 'Refresh' button while in image gallery.
Deltron wrote: - When review sharpness I find it difficult to see what is truely sharp and what is not. Is this to do with image compression that is damaging the quality of viewed image? Or just to do with low quality jpeg basic settings?
Not sure about this, for JPG images the full resolution is displayed, for RAW images for speed reasons half resolution is used (processing the full RAW image could take up to 20 sec or more on ARM devices).

Please check also the manual available here: http://dslrdashboard.info/downloads/