Recommended cheap Android devices

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
timelapsestarter

Re: Recommended cheap Android devices

Post by timelapsestarter »

Tokracro - That is not helpful.

What I was looking for was information on what devices RUN THE SOFTWARE, and are reliable FOR THE PURPOSE OF TIMELAPSE CONTROL.

To be honest, the attitude on this board is really terrible.
TokraCro

Post by TokraCro »

First.. we did ask you few times what are you gonna use it for and for how long time you will be using it.. you skipped answering that every time, then, in your title you say you are asking for cheep device, that should be good, with long battery life and who knows what.. as you should know, as professional that is this business, there is not cheep and good and durable device if you don't spend money on it.
Second, if you did read this forum, you should see that I asked something like that and got no answers
Third, Zoltan mentioned somewhere what is he using and what kind of gear he has.. so, that could be your reference for buying something that would fit your needs
Fourth.. and I think I am not the only one, I used Google for few days, till I decided what to buy and what kind of tablet I need ( reading different forums, looking at YouTube videos and all, and getting my own conclusion at the end )
Fifth... I think everyone here is helpful and willing to help if they know and you give them right information.. especially Zoltan who is working on this all the time, and giving us free software, and we all bug him day and night with bug and problems, but he still helps us and works with us
6.... cheep is relative term.. for me cheep would be 40$.. for you it can be 10 or 1000.. I dont know that.. you never specified and price rage

7.. with this I am done answering on this topic.. I hope this helped you at least a little

best regards
:)
klausesser

Post by klausesser »

timelapsestarter wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if there are any recommended devices, and their price ranges.

Obviously shoots battery life is important, a degree of ruggedness, and not being too expensive since they`ll be left outside.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi!

First of all: what would you call "cheap"? How long NEEDS the battery to last?
Will you use LiveView (needs much power)? Which camera (pixelsize/datasize)?

Some more information would be needed.

Klaus
klausesser

Post by klausesser »

timelapsestarter wrote: To be honest, the attitude on this board is really terrible.
Let me answer honestly: Your offending attitude is somewhat ridiculous.

Klaus
cardcomm

Post by cardcomm »

Google searches notwithstanding, I too have a question about what good, cheap Android devices are capable of running qDSLRDashboard. I don't plan to leave my device outside, although I can't preclude the idea. Still though it makes sense to me to have an extra device instead of relying on my main means of communications as a photography tool :)

I've searched Google plenty, but it would be nice to hear what users on this forum use. For one thing, the software seems pretty demanding of battery so it's be cool to hear about y'alls experiences. BTW, for me cheap is < $100.00 US. Or maybe <$200.00 US if the screen and battery life are great. haha

BTW, why all the drama? Two pages of posts and no hardware recommendations. lol
TokraCro

Post by TokraCro »

Cardcomm:
My experiance, not huge, but I will share it if you want to read :)
First I had some small cheep android device with 500mb ram and some other cheep stuff on it.. really bottom of tablets, and it was terrible :)
so I went searching for something better but still cheep , plus so I can manage my external power easy
I found Pipo W2.. win 8.1 tablet with 32GB, 2GB mem, and extra port/jack for power.. so I can use usb ( canon 550D/T2i ) to connect to my camera and over WiFi ( Canon 6D )to connect to my other camera
and it works.. just some little bugs in software but "the man" is working on it :)
from single battery I got around 3 hours of intervalometer and lrt holy grail sunrise via wifi.. only down side is that you cant turn off display, if you do, tablet goes to sleep and kills wifi ( I presume it would do also with usb ) and there is no option to "keep it alive"
but that is not a big problem, for me, since I am planing on making small external power.. 6x 1.2v rechargeable battery + stepdown to make it 5v so I can charge it.. and when I need bigger/longer power supply , I have all set up already, its small 12v battery, and 12->5v if I need to shoot more than 4 or 5 hours :)
so, conclusion.. I dont see any big negative sides for my win 8.1 tablet, beside "turn off" display, and it was 130$ in my country
( there is Pipo W2e or F, not sure but that one doesnt have separate plug for power )

so.. that is my case, and I decided on win tablet.. strange, but I guess I am more familiar with win that android

ps. you can capture pictures and intervalometer and you can watch a movie at the same time, tested it, and it works, so its fast, with lots of ram and it works.. hope it helps :)
klausesser

Post by klausesser »

cardcomm wrote:Google searches notwithstanding, I too have a question about what good, cheap Android devices are capable of running qDSLRDashboard. I don't plan to leave my device outside, although I can't preclude the idea. Still though it makes sense to me to have an extra device instead of relying on my main means of communications as a photography tool :)

I've searched Google plenty, but it would be nice to hear what users on this forum use. For one thing, the software seems pretty demanding of battery so it's be cool to hear about y'alls experiences. BTW, for me cheap is < $100.00 US. Or maybe <$200.00 US if the screen and battery life are great. haha

BTW, why all the drama? Two pages of posts and no hardware recommendations. lol
I found the 8" LG Tablet seems to be very good for the price. Long lasting battery, good display, quadcore processor and so on -
and VERY IMPORTANT: USB-Host mode for connecting USB-devices.
The price is around 140.-€.

I first had a Galaxy 7" tablet - and realized it has no USB-Host mode.

Klaus
TokraCro

Post by TokraCro »

my setup
Canon 550D
Canon 6D
both connected via usb to tablet at same time + charging

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/khu1og83qfz7 ... 7ZmTa?dl=0
cardcomm

Post by cardcomm »

Thanks for the feedback klausesser. I'd actually been leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" but couldn't verify that it has a UBS host mode. That's really the most difficult thing to find out via Google.

I'll have a look at the LG 8" tablets. thanks again
cardcomm

Post by cardcomm »

BTW, are there any other lower cost 7" tablets that for sure support USB Host mode? I like the price and features of the Google Nexus 7 7", but it seems from Google that the USB host mode is crippled on that model.