Recommended cheap Android devices

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
klausesser

Re: Recommended cheap Android devices

Post by klausesser »

cardcomm wrote:BTW, are there any other lower cost 7" tablets that for sure support USB Host mode?

I couldn´t find one. But the 7" LG seems also to have USB-host, i´m not sure - but it´s accu
isn´t as capable as with the 8" . . and the price-difference isn´t too big i mean.

Klaus
cardcomm

Post by cardcomm »

Thanks for the info. It sounds like you had a really good experience with the Pipo. I researched it, and it sounds pretty nice indeed. I've got to think about getting a Windows tablet though. I'd also wanted to experiment with some stuff using an Arduino and an Android device.

But you have a good point. I'm fairly at home with Widows but Android will be a whole new ballgame for me. Hmmm, what to do... haha

thanks again for the input.
TokraCro wrote:Cardcomm:
My experiance, not huge, but I will share it if you want to read :)
First I had some small cheep android device with 500mb ram and some other cheep stuff on it.. really bottom of tablets, and it was terrible :)
so I went searching for something better but still cheep , plus so I can manage my external power easy
I found Pipo W2.. win 8.1 tablet with 32GB, 2GB mem, and extra port/jack for power.. so I can use usb ( canon 550D/T2i ) to connect to my camera and over WiFi ( Canon 6D )to connect to my other camera
and it works.. just some little bugs in software but "the man" is working on it :)
from single battery I got around 3 hours of intervalometer and lrt holy grail sunrise via wifi.. only down side is that you cant turn off display, if you do, tablet goes to sleep and kills wifi ( I presume it would do also with usb ) and there is no option to "keep it alive"
but that is not a big problem, for me, since I am planing on making small external power.. 6x 1.2v rechargeable battery + stepdown to make it 5v so I can charge it.. and when I need bigger/longer power supply , I have all set up already, its small 12v battery, and 12->5v if I need to shoot more than 4 or 5 hours :)
so, conclusion.. I dont see any big negative sides for my win 8.1 tablet, beside "turn off" display, and it was 130$ in my country
( there is Pipo W2e or F, not sure but that one doesnt have separate plug for power )

so.. that is my case, and I decided on win tablet.. strange, but I guess I am more familiar with win that android

ps. you can capture pictures and intervalometer and you can watch a movie at the same time, tested it, and it works, so its fast, with lots of ram and it works.. hope it helps :)
TokraCro

Post by TokraCro »

cardcomm wrote:Thanks for the info. It sounds like you had a really good experience with the Pipo. I researched it, and it sounds pretty nice indeed. I've got to think about getting a Windows tablet though. I'd also wanted to experiment with some stuff using an Arduino and an Android device.

But you have a good point. I'm fairly at home with Widows but Android will be a whole new ballgame for me. Hmmm, what to do... haha

thanks again for the input.

well I was thinking about Raspberry pi , the new one, even found some software for it ( for camera and motor control ), but at the end, I decided to go with tablet and known software and one that has support.. but Pi looks also nice and I always liked gadgets :))