Is Nexus 7 supported? How can I make tablet model is supported?

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
cardcomm

Is Nexus 7 supported? How can I make tablet model is supported?

Post by cardcomm »

Hi all,

Sorry for the noob question. I'm trying to understand once and for all what to look for when determining of an Android tablet will be compatible with qDSLRDashBoard.

First off, the Nexus 7 16GB looks good and is in my price range. Does anyone know if it's supported?

Also, specifically what am I looking for when I trying to determine USB host mode compatibility? Is support for USB-OTG support all I need to worry about?

Sorry again if this has already been asked - I tried searching the forum, but it keeps saying my search terms are too common. LOL! I guess tablet compatibility is a big question!
Wire14

Re: Is Nexus 7 supported? How can I make tablet model is supported?

Post by Wire14 »

Hi Cardcomm,

I have an Nexus 7 (2012) 1. Generation and it works with qdd via USB and Wifi. But I would not recommend to use this tablet because its getting slower and slower with the time because the installed flash is to cheap. There are several threads about that on the internet, but there are also models which don't have that problem.

I remember that here was a discussion about the Nexus 7 2. Gen and there was mentioned that it is not working via usb but I don't know for sure.

But normally every tablet with usb-otg support should work. If you can connect an usb-stick you should also be able to connect the cam with qdd.

Cheers, Chris
TokraCro

Post by TokraCro »

Wire14 wrote:..... If you can connect an usb-stick you should also be able to connect the cam with qdd.

Cheers, Chris
does that means you can connect more things at once, or just one at time ? ( talking about android tablets )
Wire14

Post by Wire14 »

TokraCro wrote: does that means you can connect more things at once, or just one at time ? ( talking about android tablets )
I haven't tried to connect more than one device at a time. I mean if you can connect an usb-stick to the tablet and the stick is recognized and you can see the files on the stick on the tablet, then in 99% of all cases qdd should work, too.

Cheers
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

Wire14 wrote: I haven't tried to connect more than one device at a time. I mean if you can connect an usb-stick to the tablet and the stick is recognized and you can see the files on the stick on the tablet, then in 99% of all cases qdd should work, too.

Cheers
That's actually not true. Many devices has limited USB host functionality implemented only in Android, but not implemented in kernel.
This means that pendrives will work but not cameras, because only preprogrammed device will work.
For example you have Galaxy Tab 4 7" - one of models has USB host and pendrives, mouses, etc will work, but qDD with camera will not.
TokraCro

Post by TokraCro »

I was just curious, because I was reading about that problems
but I tested it on win 8.1 tablet and you can connect more devices and they will work ( with qDD )
Ezee

Post by Ezee »

cardcomm wrote:Hi all,

Sorry for the noob question. I'm trying to understand once and for all what to look for when determining of an Android tablet will be compatible with qDSLRDashBoard.

First off, the Nexus 7 16GB looks good and is in my price range. Does anyone know if it's supported?

Also, specifically what am I looking for when I trying to determine USB host mode compatibility? Is support for USB-OTG support all I need to worry about?

Sorry again if this has already been asked - I tried searching the forum, but it keeps saying my search terms are too common. LOL! I guess tablet compatibility is a big question!
To find out if your particular tablet provides usb host functionality try this;
http://android.stackexchange.com/questi ... tg-support

This link is from the qdd manual which is recommended to thoroughly read.
cardcomm

Post by cardcomm »

Thanks for all the tips everyone. This has been a help.

Ezee - I actually have read the manual located at http://dslrdashboard.info/documentation/ I swear I didn't see that link you posted anywhere. I guess maybe I overlooked it, I dunno. Still, it never hurts to have another look at the docs.

Or is there some other documentation somewhere else? Anyway, the USB host diagnostics app linked to in the document is very helpful once one owns the device. I couldn't get the chainfire device search to work though. I guess I need a device code or something? It'd sure be nice if there was a list of supported hardware...
Ezee

Post by Ezee »

cardcomm wrote:Thanks for all the tips everyone. This has been a help.

Ezee - I actually have read the manual located at http://dslrdashboard.info/documentation/ I swear I didn't see that link you posted anywhere. I guess maybe I overlooked it, I dunno. Still, it never hurts to have another look at the docs.

Or is there some other documentation somewhere else? Anyway, the USB host diagnostics app linked to in the document is very helpful once one owns the device. I couldn't get the chainfire device search to work though. I guess I need a device code or something? It'd sure be nice if there was a list of supported hardware...
Then there might be a discrepancy between the online and filed manual, I downloaded the manual from this location:
http://dslrdashboard.info/download/qdsl ... nual-v1-1/

I agree that a list of suitable hardware like tablets, smartphones, camera's and portable routers would be a big help to noobs or not so technical talented users like myself. Might be the qDD user comunity could support Zoltan on this by providing the data ( trough the app) on there working configurations and maybe even deposit reviews and "how-to's"
The product deserves it, that is for sure because any user is no less then blown off there socks with enthousiasme about this great piece of work....