Connection via wifi direct

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
DavidKingdon

Connection via wifi direct

Post by DavidKingdon »

I have been using QDSLRDashboard for a while now by simply connecting my Galaxy S3 phone via USB OTG cable to my Canon DSLR.

Recently, it was time to upgrade my phone and I took out a deal on a Galaxy S5 which included a Galaxy Tab 4 almost free. My aim being to run QDSLRDashboard on the tablet and connect as usual via USB cable. Unfortunately, I now find the 7” version of the tablet I received does not support the USB host function, so will not connect to my DSLR.

In order to use the tablet, I am now wondering if it would be possible to connect the S5 via cable to the DSLR, then connect the tablet to the phone via wifi direct and control the DSLR from QDSLRDashboard running on the tablet. I have attempted to share connections, but so far have not had any success with making this setup work. I am now wondering if I need to run DDServer on the S5, but not sure if this is the right way to go or even possible. I often shoot in remote location with no wifi or even mobile data connection, hence the wifi direct idea.

I have searched the forum and cannot find a similar question. Apologies if something similar has already been asked and I have missed it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.