Nikon D7100, "P" mode: no program shift?

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Rob163pix

Nikon D7100, "P" mode: no program shift?

Post by Rob163pix »

Hi,

I started testing qDD with a Nikon D7100 connected via USB to an iMac. At a first glance: overwhelming functionality! Then I got stuck with a problem. I wasn’t able to do what Nikon names „program shift“: mode „P“ normally allows to shift pairs of shutter & aperture. Like this:
25 f6.3 -> 30 f5.6 -> 40 f5 -> 50 f4.5 etc.

But this doesn’t seem to be possible. Mode „P“ just allows to modify ISO and EV correction, no more. This is a pity … or maybe, I overlooked something?

Regards,
Rob
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Nikon D7100, "P" mode: no program shift?

Post by hubaiz »

The shutter speed and aperture are not accessible while the camera is in P mode (they are read only).
There is a Flexible property (from -5EV to +5EV) that can be used to change the shutter/aperture values.
I will add that property for the next version.
Rob163pix

Post by Rob163pix »

Thank you for your quick answer and the explanation.
It's a pity Nikon doesn't give access to this program shift parameter.

Modifying EV is not the same as a program shift because EV directly increases or decreases the amount of light getting onto the sensor whereas program shift simultaneously modifies shutter & aperture (e.g. to get a bigger depth of field) without over- or underexposing.
But maybe I didn't understand the behaviour of this "flexible property"?

By all means: thank you for this great work with qDD. It is of such an importance to so many photographers.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

No you didn't understand my post.
The Program shift property does the same as when you change the values with your camera dial.
It's value is represented as EV values but it has nothing to do with the Exposure Bias Compensation.
Rob163pix

Post by Rob163pix »

Okay, thanks for clarification.
Good luck with implementing this flexible property!