D750 wifi and lost connection to iOS

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
espaan

D750 wifi and lost connection to iOS

Post by espaan »

Hi
I'm probably missing something or doing something wrong. I started a trial interval shoot today for a time lapse. However already after 16 shots (of 30sec interval) the connection was lost I assume.

Qdslrdash kept on showing that shots were made but nothing happened on the camera.

Do I need to do something special to keep the connection alive ? Did I miss something in the app or on the camera ?

There are probably people out there that have already done it where it works perfect :-)
Last edited by espaan on 12 Mar 2015, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: D750 wifi and lost connection to iOS

Post by hubaiz »

Does the iOS device screen goes off? If yes then that's the problem. Unfortunately on iOS devices application can't run in background like on Android devices.
espaan

Post by espaan »

hubaiz wrote:Does the iOS device screen goes off? If yes then that's the problem. Unfortunately on iOS devices application can't run in background like on Android devices.
That must be it then. Indeed the screen went black.
I have several applications that do run in the background BTW. Also GPS apps for instance. Do you mean qDslrDash can't run in the background and still operate the camera ? For these kind of things I might prefer the foreground anyways, but I didnt think of that.

There are some applications that keep themselves active in the foreground, but you have the option to "lock" or blacken the screen to save energy. That might be an option as well for the iOS version. Is there an option on iOS SDK to keep an App active, so to not let the screen lock itself and lose the connection ? Now it loses connection and when you unlock again qDslrDash just shows up and keeps on showing that it's operating the camera. Whilst it is not actually doing that.
It might be good to show that the connection is lost then and an error message of any kind.

All in all not a big deal, since the screen is already quite dark, so should be ok. If timelapses really take of :-) I can always opt for an android tablet.

Thanks for the response
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

On iOS only specific application can run in background:
music player
application that need constant position update (GPS)
application that use Bluetooth
application that need to fetch WEB data

Unfortunately qDD does not belong into any of the categories.
There is a 'Keep screen on' option that will prevent the screen going into sleep.
espaan

Post by espaan »

Hi, thanks for the details ! Much appreciated.

I also found this topic on iOS http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5064 ... ndby-timer
You are using that for the keep screen on. I thought I had Keep screen checked, but maybe not in the run that I did.
ALso this one. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2216 ... sleep-mode

Anyways as long as I can keep the screen on and just lower brightness everything should be fine. Hopefully try again tonight with a timelapse (sunset kind).
Thanks again.