Multiple Cameras not showing up

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
jvclarke

Multiple Cameras not showing up

Post by jvclarke »

I have 2 Canon 7D cameras. I also have 2 TP-LInk 3040 Routers with the latest deserver OpenWRT firmware installed.
I am the latest firmware on the cameras
I am running the latest dslrdashboard app on my iPad Air with iOS 8.1.3

I have tried both connections separately running 192.168.1.1 as the host address. The router name is JVC-TPLINK1 on the first router. The router name on the second router is TP-LINK2.

I can connect to both of them individually - if I change the connection on it iPad Wifi settings.

I can not see them at the same time.

I have tried to bridge the second router to the first -but am probably doing it incorrectly.

I have also tried to set up the second as a repeater of the first - but probably doing this incorrectly.

I am also wondering if the the problem is that both cameras have the same name - I hope not - I don't think the camera name is changeable.

I have a video shoot to do this weekend - out of state - I am leaving early this Thursday - and can only spend the next couple days to try to do this. If anyone can help me - it would certainly be very much appreciated. Please help.

Joseph
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Cameras not showing up

Post by hubaiz »

You must leave one MR3040 as it is (access point with the default IP addredd - 192.168.1.1 - or whatever IP you use)

You must set-up your second MR3040 as a client of the first one.
You should first change the LAN interface IP to 192.168.1.2
Then you should set the wifi to be client of the first MR3040.
You can do this with the OpenWrt web interface.
Best you turn on the first MR3040.
Then on second MR3040 you go into Network->Wifi
You will have a 'Scan' button on the right side, press it and it will list the accessible wireless networks.
You should see there the first MR3040 AP and you should press the 'Join network' button and follow the setup process.
jvclarke

Post by jvclarke »

Thanks much for this information. I need to wait another hour or two form someone to bring my second camera back to me.
I may need some more information if I can't pick up both cameras when I try it. There were some specifics that your answer didn't address, but I have set this up with the defaults for settings that weren't addressed.

If both cameras are the same model, will it still work using the default camera names?
jvclarke

Post by jvclarke »

I was never able to get this to work. It is too bad as I did not have enough experienced people to run the cameras, and now there are some video gaps in the finished product because I was not able to remotely stop and start recording every few minutes from a single location. There were about 100 people in the audience and the opportunity to share the product capabilities to a number of people would have possibly become future customers of this product.

I do appreciate the reply to my original question. Unfortunately - it was pretty generic and didn't cover the setup details for the TP-Link MR3040 and the loaded firmware. I am not convinced that this setup was ever tried with live-view from 2 Canon 7D's. I was never able to determine if DSLRDashboard can handle seeing two identical cameras as separate cameras.

This all said - in my honest opinion this has the capability of being a quality product - but until I can actually get some kind of support from Zoltan or someone he has assigned as someone able to give answers, the product will remain shelved and unrecommended to others. I currently feel that I wasted money on the 2 routers, fast shipping, as well as a lot of time in attempting to get them to work. (I am also a network administrator and am not unfamiliar with firmware upgrades, repeaters, etc.)
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Sorry you couldn't figure out.
I'm not a network administrator but I did a simple Google search
https://www.google.com/search?%7Bgoogle ... lient+mode
Clicked the first link : http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/clientmode
After reading it I concluded that I need to use routed client mode so I navigated to: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/rou ... ingrouting
I only have one MR3040 and one WR703N (almost same as MR3040 but without battery) so I went out to test this.
Here are the steps documented for setting up both devices with the OpenWrt web interface: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMZ8X ... sp=sharing

After the setup I launched my qDslrDashboard on laptop that was still connected with wireless to the MR3040
- long pressed the network button and entered 192.168.2.1 as IP for camera connected to MR3040
- long pressed the network button and entered 192.168.3.1 as IP for camera connected to WR703N

Both worked
jvclarke

Post by jvclarke »

I appreciate this, and I also was able to do this a few weeks ago, but this is not the way it is supposed to work. The documentation states that I should be able to see both cameras without needed to long press to connect to the other network. Qdslrdashboard shows that I should be able to see both cameras without needing to change the networks. Once doing that I would just need to select the camera from the GUI.
To be able to accomplish this, both routers would need to be seen from the panel. Therefore one of the routers will need to be setup as a repeater of the first router, or as an extension of the first router.

Thanks for attempting to answer this - I only wish that Zoltan would describe how he set this up - but so far I have not heard anything.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

jvclarke wrote:Thanks for attempting to answer this - I only wish that Zoltan would describe how he set this up - but so far I have not heard anything.
Not sure what you mean, I posted the steps here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMZ8X ... sp=sharing
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

jvclarke wrote:I appreciate this, and I also was able to do this a few weeks ago, but this is not the way it is supposed to work. The documentation states that I should be able to see both cameras without needed to long press to connect to the other network. Qdslrdashboard shows that I should be able to see both cameras without needing to change the networks. Once doing that I would just need to select the camera from the GUI.
To be able to accomplish this, both routers would need to be seen from the panel. Therefore one of the routers will need to be setup as a repeater of the first router, or as an extension of the first router.

Thanks for attempting to answer this - I only wish that Zoltan would describe how he set this up - but so far I have not heard anything.
It works as it supposed to.

That part about multiple cameras is correct you just did not understand it right:
1. You can connect multiple cameras to one MR3040 (via USB hub).
2. You can connect multiple cameras via network if they are on same IP (e.g. to same computer and their connection is shared.)
The is no mentioning that you can connect multiple cameras with different IPs, but there is mentioning that setting correct IP is crucial.

And if you are a network administrator you know that two devices cannot have same IP.
jvclarke

Post by jvclarke »

I am fairly sure that I did not misread this. I have also done each step as suggested above. It still does not work.

I am using separate routers for each camera.

Both cameras are the same make and model.

I have set up one network with the second router as a client of the first.

Logging the tablet to this network. DSLRDASHBOAD should see both cameras at the same time. I am supposed to be able to click the camera I wish to view, operate.

This does not work. Please look at the Zoltens documentation. You will see both cameras are shown.

Zolten has never explained how to do this - or if his software will not pick up both cameras if they are the same make and model.

Does anyone know how to get his attention so he might answer this?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

jvclarke wrote:I am fairly sure that I did not misread this. I have also done each step as suggested above. It still does not work.

I am using separate routers for each camera.

Both cameras are the same make and model.

I have set up one network with the second router as a client of the first.

Logging the tablet to this network. DSLRDASHBOAD should see both cameras at the same time. I am supposed to be able to click the camera I wish to view, operate.

This does not work. Please look at the Zoltens documentation. You will see both cameras are shown.

Zolten has never explained how to do this - or if his software will not pick up both cameras if they are the same make and model.

Does anyone know how to get his attention so he might answer this?
I don't know how much attention you wan't from me, I already answered you, tested it, documented it and provided you with the document for the steps needed to configure the routers (one router as AP and one as client of the first one)
Cameras can be connected to both routers and both will be visible and can be controlled from qDD.
Cameras connected to AP router should work with auto detection, cameras connected to client router will work with 'Network' button long click.