Newbie - Canon 6D & iphone

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Gary Woodburn

Newbie - Canon 6D & iphone

Post by Gary Woodburn »

Hi

I am a newbie looking to use QDSLRDashboard for time lapse work.

I currently have a canon 6D and an iphone 5s. I am keen to save battery power by not using the 6D's wifi so I guess I need to connect with a cable ? Is this possible with the iphone ? I was considering buying a cheap 2nd hand android tablet for this purpose, would this be a better option than using the iphone ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Gary Woodburn

Re: Newbie - Canon 6D & iphone

Post by Gary Woodburn »

OK I've done some further digging and it looks like the iphone cable idea won't work, but happy to be corrected on that.

Looks like I'll go for a cheap 2nd hand ebay tablet to get me started with this. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good android tablet for this purpose ? Looks like 1st generation Asus Nexus 7s (2012) are going quite cheap on ebay are these ok for this purpose or should I be looking for something newer ? I'm on a budget and just learning so don't want to splash out too much at this stage.

Any advice/recommendations welcome.
GonzoG

Re: Newbie - Canon 6D & iphone

Post by GonzoG »

It depends on what you want to do with qDD.
If you want just control camera - any Android will do but if you want to use LV you will need a device with good CPU and GPU because qDD uses real-time rendering due to possibility of using filters (only on remote device screen).

USB connection is also faster than WiFi but don't think that built-in WiFi uses much energy.