Renaming the photo

qDslrDashboard feature request, ideas
littlelio

Renaming the photo

Post by littlelio »

My first post! Hi All!

I am a photographer uses tethering A LOT! and hours ago, I just found the BEST tethering software, which I have been looking all the time!!!

So far I think dslrdashboard is great! only one minor function: file renaming. I like the mechanic that the camera still keep the copy of image on the SD/CF card, then the program simply retrieve it. There is a setting called 'file name prefix' and a counter. But the manual says

Code: Select all

File name prefix – here the user can set the prefix that will be used for images downloaded from camera that don’t have name. If the camera does provide an image name the application will use that.
what does it mean? how can the image from the camera does not have a name... it is always DSC_xxxx for example. So I can I activate this function?

This is really important. One of the reasons I need tethering, is that I have to name the photo before I take the shot. An easy way to change the name would be fantastic.

Any comment is highly appreciated. Thanks!
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Renaming the photo

Post by hubaiz »

When you capture to camera SD/CF card the image always has a name defined on the camera.

When you capture to controlling device (long press on the qDD capture button / turns red) the captured image will not have a name (this depends on camera model to)
littlelio

Post by littlelio »

Thanks!

The long press mode of the capture button (in red) does work like you said! Exactly what I need and the name is changed on the computer. In this mode, the image is not stored on the camera any more.

However the common single click mode, will also store the photo on the computer, while it also stores image on the camera. So is it a default setting? Just want to check if I missed any settings. But this is great anyway.

However, I am a bit greedy... when in capture mode (red button), the name can be changed, but is it possible still, to store two copies image on the computer and camera?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

If 'image review' is enabled in settings the image will be stored on SD card and qDD will download the image and display it.
If RAW+JPG or JPG is selected the JPG image will be downloaded if RAW is selected as image format the RAW file will be downloaded and displayed.
littlelio

Post by littlelio »

Hi hubaiz,

I am testing with my D3/D3S again for the tethering.

If the shuttle release is red (long press), click the button on computer will grab the picture, transfer it to computer from the camera, and rename it with given prefix. However in the same condition as above, if I press the release on the camera, it still downloads with the original name (just like the image review function).

Is it a expected behaviour? because it is in long press mode already, and the only different is click on the screen or on the camera.

I really hope the camera release can also transfer the image with preset name instead of the default camera one. Thanks!
fotoexito

Post by fotoexito »

Did you find a solution to this problem? I have the same requirement. I need to shoot using the camera shutter button on the D750 and need to change filename as its imported.