VNC into RPI running DslrDashboard, but not seeing the window.

qDslrDashbord error reports
bobyg26

VNC into RPI running DslrDashboard, but not seeing the window.

Post by bobyg26 »

I finally have a setup working, kind of...

The aim is to have a camera hooked up to a Raspberry Pi in a remote location that I can dial into over the network or over the net.

Ive got my desired result so far where I can operate the whole setup locally, and I can successfully VNC into the unit over local network and over the net. But when I run the ./qDslrDashboard.sh command I see the terminal process, but not the window which shows up on the monitor.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what might be wrong, I thought maybe it was the "ScreenBase completed DeviceScreen" line which is basically telling the unit to show the window on the devices current HDMI output device. yes? no?

Any help would be awesome.
GonzoG

Re: VNC into RPI running DslrDashboard, but not seeing the window.

Post by GonzoG »

VNC is not able to show correctly remote OpenGL applications.
bobyg26

Post by bobyg26 »

GonzoG wrote:VNC is not able to show correctly remote OpenGL applications.
Is there any work around for this? Ive read a bit about alternative vnc servers being able to display openGL.
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

Yes. Don't use vnc. Use built in in qDD network sharing.

Check "allow connection sharing" in qDD settings and in connect network button (long press for IP address change). But it will only work with local network or direct connection. If camera is behind NAT it possibly won't work.
bobyg26

Post by bobyg26 »

GonzoG wrote:Yes. Don't use vnc. Use built in in qDD network sharing.

Check "allow connection sharing" in qDD settings and in connect network button (long press for IP address change). But it will only work with local network or direct connection. If camera is behind NAT it possibly won't work.
Yeah I'm trying to avoid having to have the remote device needing to run qDD the whole time. As is I want the RPI2 giving the camera shooting commands, where the remote pc/android just presses the buttons. Does connection sharing need the remote device app open the whole time for timelapse/video recording?
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

Yes. It works as a proxy.

If you want to remotely control RPI than you have to use RealVNC (or other VNC with OpenGL support) and correctly configure client and server.
And the most important - your RPI must have OpenGL 2.0 compatible video card. qDD cannot run on computers with out OpenGL hardware.
gapperns

Post by gapperns »

Is anyone able to provide more details of what you need to allow for vnc access to qDD? e.g. what are the configuration parameters of RealVNC?

I see that the latest release https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... n-release/ an experimental OpenGL driver for the desktop which uses the GPU to provide hardware acceleration. Not sure what this means for qDD?