Holy Grail Stops Receiving images roughly an hour into Time-lapse

qDslrDashbord error reports
bearded.dop

Holy Grail Stops Receiving images roughly an hour into Time-lapse

Post by bearded.dop »

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I searched through the forums and couldn't find my exact problem anywhere.
Setup:
5DM3 - 1.2.3
RAW + SJPG
64 gig CF card
TP-link tl-MR3040
iPad Air 2- IOS 9.3
QDD - 3.5.1 but have seen this issue in previous releases.

I have been super pleased with my setup but recently have started doing some longer time lapses and I have run into this issue on my last 4 time-lapse trips. all using the LRtimelapse screen, Auto Holy Grail, Sunset. Auto direction on. everything works flawlessly for awhile and then 1 to 2 hours in I start getting blank preview files on the app. The exposure count keeps climbing for a while without any exposure data, but eventually the camera stops firing and will show the BUSY signal.
I've now gotten it down to a procedure of immediately disconnecting the usb cable from the TP-link. I then power cycle the router, close out the app and power cycle the iPad. After the iPad reestablishes a connection to the router I open QDD, plug the usb back in and reconnect (Usually loose 1-3 exposures during this connection). the previews then start coming back in and I can continue for another 1-2 hours.

Is there anything I have setup incorrectly that is causing the app to stop receiving preview exposures? I have two TP-link routers and get the same issue on both. I also got the same issue running the App on my iPhone so I am assuming this is an somewhere in the app.

Any help, or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Holy Grail Stops Receiving images roughly an hour into Time-lapse

Post by hubaiz »

Could you tell the settings you used.
slowest shutter speed, min/max iso, interval. Did you use qDD interval timer or an external one?
bearded.dop

Post by bearded.dop »

External interval timer. Kessler second shooter is triggering. This has happened with different settings but I generally set max Iso at 6400 if I'm going through sunset. I always set a 2 second delay after my slowest shutter. If slowest shutter is 3 seconds then My interval on the second shooter would be 5 seconds. Last time the issue popped up after about an hour with Iso 100, shutter 0.5 sec, Interval 5sec

If I back out of the lrtimelapse screen the jpg still come through on the main screen for review but refuse to show up in the lrtimelapse screen for automated exposure control.

Thanks for the awesome app and for taking the time to try and figure out my issue. You rock!
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Not sure if this is the issue with the external interval timer.
On Canon DSLR some interval timers do a 2-3 second focusing before the capture (like when you half press the camera capture button). While the capture button is half pressed the camera will not accept any commands from qDslrDashboard.
So if your interval is 5 second, the interval timer will do a half press at 3 second and qDD will be unable to do the required changes.
Not sure if your interval timer does this.
bearded.dop

Post by bearded.dop »

I am able to make changes in between exposures. The issue is that the lrtimelapse screen starts receiving black frames. The exposure count keeps climbing and I can still change iso and shutter speed but there is no histogram data to automate the ramp until I disconnect, reset, and reconnect everything.
ems-dop

Post by ems-dop »

Same with me,

all works fine for some 1h40m+ and then no images get transferred anymore.
I'm busy testing every sunset since 6 days - and I can not get it working (LR HolyGrail).

All auto-stuff switched to off on my iPad.

5D3
analogue controller (modified - no auto-focus!)
10 sec Interval @ 1sec exp. time (should be fine even with autofocus)
moderate settings (F4-16, ISO100-800, time 1/50 - 1 sec)
TP Link / flashed-version
iPadAir2 - no capture of small JPG's
latest qDSLRD
And reading this forum for about two weeks!

IT DOES NOT WORK until now with iOS and LR-timelapse window for me!

Any help out there?

My intention was to post much more details ( i wrote down a lot), after a successful try, but it failed again today.

I guess - I surrender for now and check back once a new version is available.

Greets from Munich,

Emanuel