How to connect smartphone to Sony A7R

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
wetcoaster

How to connect smartphone to Sony A7R

Post by wetcoaster »

I am unable to use qDD on any of my devices (PC, ASUS Zenfone, Samsung Tab 8.4 tablet) with my A7R because I cannot establish a link to the camera's WiFi. I am able to use Sony PlayMemories Remote Control Mobile on my Zenfone to connect to the camera but qDD will not connect when Remote Control Mobile is operating. The instructions I read in this forum say "pair" then start qDD. I would like to hear from a Sony Alpha camera owner exactly how they paired their device to the camera.

After turning on my A7R and bringing up the Remote Control app on it, it displays a device ID and a password. My Zenfone (PC, tablet) see the A7R's WiFi address and I then try to connect to it. The camera asks for a password which it has displayed on the camera's LCD. When I enter that password into the Zenfone, the Zenfone says "connected" but the camera displays "connecting" and then just sits there. Same for my PC and tablet.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: How to connect smartphone to Sony A7R

Post by hubaiz »

First update the 'Smart remote control' Playmemories application to the latest (https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/ ... _00-F00002)
- turn on your camera and start the 'Smart remote control' application
- connect/pair your controlling device wireless with the A7R wireless
- start qDslrDashboard and press the 'Sony wireless' button

* be sure that the Sony Playmemories application is not running and that only one device wireless is connect to the camera wireless
wetcoaster

Re: How to connect smartphone to Sony A7R

Post by wetcoaster »

A friend solved the problem for me. He explained that all I needed to do was to start qDD. The message on the A7R's LCD was "connecting" and I assumed that meant it was not yet connected. However, it was actually "paired" and was just waiting for my Zenfone to start an an app. As soon as I started qDD on my Zenfone the app connected to my A7R and I was good to go. I am unfortunately very literal minded. So "connecting" didn't mean the camera was waiting for an app. <sheesh>