A couple questions about the LRTimelapse module

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Novelectro

A couple questions about the LRTimelapse module

Post by Novelectro »

Hi All,

I just started getting into Qdslrdashboard with my Nikon D750. So far I've really enjoyed working with it and now I'm attempting all sorts of new things - so thank you!

Question 1: Is there a way to prioritize which aspect will increase/decrease first, second, third?
Question 2: Is there a way to ramp the interval timer?

What I'm really looking into is this: I start a sunset holy grail timelapse and want to get a lot of good cloud movement, so I need an interval of maybe 2s. I want to the timelapse to go all the way through to several hours into the night to get the Milky Way. At that point I don't need a short interval and can go all the way up to say 30s (since I'll need a 10s - 25s shutter speed). It seems like what I'd need to do is have some sort of macro that says E.G. - when shutter speed gets to 1.5s, ramp interval to 3s, when shutter speed gets to 2.5s, ramp interval to 4s.

^ That above example could obviously be a lot more specific and I'm not sure off the top of my head when which feature should be increased/decreased - but I could see something like this being really useful to me.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: A couple questions about the LRTimelapse module

Post by hubaiz »

There is an interval ramping option for the qDslrDashboard interval timer. You can specify the ramping duration, the end interval and the ramping easing.
In the latest version there is also an option where the interval is added to the shutter speed ('add shutter speed to interval'). With this option enabled the current shutter speed will be added to the base interval so as your shutter speed increases the interval will also do.
Novelectro

Post by Novelectro »

Hi Hubaiz

Thanks very much - I didn't realize that there was an interval ramping option.

Perhaps this next question is for a different post but I've also had some trouble with the built in intervalometer. It just doesn't seem to be consistent with its timing. For example yesterday I had it set to 3s, and the first few shots seemed about right but then a long pause and a bunch of shots which were very quick in succession. From there it was just inconsistent for the next several minutes.

I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with the way I'm writing to the cards? The cards themselves are fast and I've never had any issues with slow write speed.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

I guess the problem was a short interval and qDD couldn't keep up. Probably a 4-5sec interval is better but this depends on model and on SD card used.
Set the camera to capture BASIC JPG and size S, this way the download will be faster.