Anyone successfully using qDSLRDashboard on a Galaxy S8?

qDslrDashbord error reports
rgames

Anyone successfully using qDSLRDashboard on a Galaxy S8?

Post by rgames »

Hello,

I don't think this is a qDSLRDashboard problem but I'm hopeful that someone can help me out. I can't get the OTG connection on my Samsung Galaxy S8 to work. I have tried the included OTG adapter and an aftermarket OTG cable. I have enabled "Developer Options" and tried all of the USB connection types but none works. When I connect the OTG cable I can see the light flash on my camera (Nikon D810) but the "Use USB for" option is always set to "Charge Connected Device". I try to check the radio box for "File Transfer" or "Photo Transfer" or any other option but the option selector dialog box just goes away. And when I open it back up it's set back to "Charge Connected Device". So I think my problem is that I can't change the USB connection type.

Has anyone successfully set up a Galaxy S8 to work with this app? If so, did you have to change some settings to make the OTG connection work?

Thanks in advance,

rgames
GonzoG

Re: Anyone successfully using qDSLRDashboard on a Galaxy S8?

Post by GonzoG »

File transfer and photo transfer are modes for connecting phone to computer.
While using OTG mode there is no setting connection type. It depends on connected device.
bitti

Post by bitti »

I have a similar problem with qDSLRDashboard on my Honor 8 (running Android Nougat) and Nikon D300. My USB OTG adapter clearly works, as the Gallery app can see the photos on my Nikon D300. However, if I start qDSLRDashboard and click on the USB icon, my phone asks whether qDSLRDashboard is allowed to use the USB. When I click yes, qDSLRDashboard exits/crashes.

My phone also shows the "Use USB for" notification where you cannot really change the values (it always reverts to "Charge connected device"). That doesn't seem to be a problem however, since even with that option other apps can see my D300 so OTG works.

At the moment I cannot do more testing, as I uninstalled qDSLRDashboard and got a refund.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Try enabling the 'Use Android native USB access' option in qDslrDashboard settings before you connect your DSLR.
bitti

Post by bitti »

Ok, thanks for the tip. However, as I wrote, I already uninstalled the app and got a refund. If I purchase it again, Google Play doesn't let me automatically get a second refund.

If the app doesn't work on my Honor 8 even with native USB access, can I still get a refund for my purchase?
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

With D300/D300s you have to set USB mode on camera. If you can see photos from camera in gallery, you have wrong mode set because gallery will see photos when camera is in MSD mode (like flash drive). Switch it to PTP mode.