Nikon D850 - No LiveView in App

qDslrDashbord error reports
thorb65

Nikon D850 - No LiveView in App

Post by thorb65 »

Hi,
I'm trying to get the LiveView working with my D850. But until now i cannot see the picture in the app. Not on iOS and not on macOS.

I've tried both ways, with TP Link and directly. In both ways i can adjust shutter, aperture, iso, can turn on LiveView, hear the mirror but have no picture. I can then start the LiveView on the cam display.

Any idea how to get it work in the app?

Thx
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Nikon D850 - No LiveView in App

Post by hubaiz »

I'm working on adding D850, still waiting for the SDK for it.
aaronpriest

Post by aaronpriest »

I've been doing a lot of testing with the D850 tonight. Everything seems to work except a LiveView picture itself on both Android and iOS. I got qDslrDashboard to connect to the built in WiFi of the D850 through SnapBridge on my iPhone, but my Android cannot make a WiFi connection at all through SnapBridge. SnapBridge is NOT stable, even in iOS. I reverted back to my TPLink MR3040 router for more Android testing with my Nexus 7 2013 tablet. The big news is, if you enable live view mode under settings in the LRTimelapse module you will get completely silent timelapse shooting, yay!!! You CAN'T use the interval timer feature in the D850 menu itself (like I used to with the D810), it is grayed out once a USB cable is plugged in. And if you start the interval timer first in the camera, then qDslrDashboard cannot connect to the camera. So the only way to get silent timelapses with no mirror movement with qDslrDashboard and the D850 is to use qDslrDashboard as the intervalometer with LV enabled under settings, which historically has been quite unstable for me in the past. I'll certainly be doing more testing with this. It has been running fabulously with ramping for the past half hour without issue, and without a sound. :D

Back to iOS: the text is all garbled in green underneath current exposure settings with the D850, but not the D810. I thought at first it might be an issue with iOS 11, but the D810 shows the correct text. There are a bunch of crazy symbols instead with the D850, but it's fine on Android. Neither can show a live view, but image review works fine (even RAW, which surprised me).

Unrelated to the D850, but related to iOS (both 10 & 11), the app is nearly unusable on my iPhone 7 Plus because the icons and text are so big, but it works fine on the iPhone 7 and my iPad Air 2. It's a scaling issue or something with the iPhone 7 Plus screen or resolution.

Do you think the SDK will allow for silent "mirrorless" shooting for focus stacking and bracketing, over USB? That would be nice if it can!

Let me know if there is anymore testing I can do for anyone!
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

You can change the UI scaling in qDslrDashboard settings, that should fix the iPhone 7 Plus.
aaronpriest

Post by aaronpriest »

Thanks! 0.6 looks about right for me. :-)