Copy RAW image to laptop

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
tricky

Copy RAW image to laptop

Post by tricky »

Hi. I have just installed this on my MacBook Pro. Seems potentially useful. However, I'd like to be able to transfer over the full RAW image file from each photo I take. I am using the Sony a7 camera.

Is this possible, or if not, can anybody suggest how to wirelessly transfer the RAW images to my MacBook?

Cheers,
Rich
GonzoG

Re: Copy RAW image to laptop

Post by GonzoG »

Don't know it it works with Sony, but with Canon and Nikon it is like this:
1. If you want photos to be downloaded automatically you need to take photos only in RAW. Setting to RAW+JPEG only JPEGs will be downloaded.
Set "Image review after capture" in qDD settings (on main screen). Be aware that downloading 1 RAW photo on WiFi will take some time (even over 1 minute if wifi signal is weak)

2. If you want to download them manually - go to gallery, view photos on camera, select to display only RAWs, select photos to download and hit download.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

This currently does not work with Sony.
I did some tests regarding this but have no final solution yet.
Eventually if I manage to make it, it will not work with the a7 as it does not have the required API for it ( https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/ ... _00-F00002 )
Only a7s, a7II, a7R II, a7s II, a6300, a6500
tricky

Post by tricky »

Thanks for that - ill give it a try.
russellsnr

Post by russellsnr »

Hi, Maybe picking you up wrong but I assume you wish to copy the images over so as to be able to view them as you take them?
If so then just set QDSLR to send images to the Computer/Laptop or Tablet as Jpegs and save RAW files to the in camera card to transfer over at a later time. Russ
tricky

Post by tricky »

The reason for copying the RAW files over to the laptop is that we are shooting fisheye-lens images that we need to stitch together using a piece of software called PTgui. This software works best with the RAW image files, so it would be better to take the shot and have them wirelessly transmitted to my laptop without continually taking the SD card out of the camera (which is awkwardly mounted on a panoramic tripod head!) all the time.
russellsnr

Post by russellsnr »

Hi, I did try to send images wireless to my Windows computer to stitch when I shoot macro photo stacks but ended up with the USB connection and USB for you not an option on a pano head?, only other suggestion would be a Wi-Fi card depending on what camera you use. Russ
jp.houbion

Post by jp.houbion »

Hi every body
I've got the same problem with my Nikon D7100 on my Linux Mint 20.1 laptop (QDD version 3.6.4 X64).
Only JPEG files are transfered to my laptop.
Any idea ?

Thanks for you help.
JP :ugeek:
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

jp.houbion, by default qDD downloads only JPEGs for preview purposes. You can download them manually or set qDD to save photos to computer instead camera SD.