Using the integrated WiFi of the Nikon D850 with qDSLRDashboard

qDslrDashboard feature request, ideas
Andreas V

Using the integrated WiFi of the Nikon D850 with qDSLRDashboard

Post by Andreas V »

1. Prerequisites
An Apple mobile device running the Nikon Snapbridge App. Android doesn't work as it connects directly to the Nikon D850 on the first device
A second device running qDSLRDashboard that is able to connect via WiFi

2. Camera setup
increase C2 value to 1 min
Increase the C4 values Menüs and Information display to 1 min

3. Start the Snapbridge app on the iPhone/iPad
Before clicking on 'Camera' to enable WiFi, check if the camera has recognized the connection, as well. Setup Menu - Bluetooth.
After clicking on 'Camera' in the app, select 'Remote photography' to turn on WiFi on the camera. This should take not more than 15 s. You're getting a screen "The device will connect to the camera via Wi-Fi...." Stay on this screen.
Once you got this screen, you're done on the iPhone/iPad. You have successfully turned on WiFi on the Nikon D850 and your second device is ready to connect. Stay on this screen until the second device has connected to the D850 WiFi and you have opened and connected qDSLRDashboard.

4. Set up the second device with qDSLRDashboard
Connect the device to the Nikon D850 WiFi.
Open qDSLRDashboard
Click on 'Nikon' and qDSLRDashboard connects

That's all and you're done. You can even turn off the iPhone/iPad
RobRomani

Re: Using the integrated WiFi of the Nikon D850 with qDSLRDashboard

Post by RobRomani »

That is just the info I wanted, I'll try it later and report back!
dobovedo

Post by dobovedo »

If only I had an iSomething. But I've got OTG cables for USB connection either from Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S3 Tab. Guess I'll use those to test out this whole process. Just getting started with DSLRDashboard and LRTimelapse.
aaronpriest

Post by aaronpriest »

It also works with Android, doesn't need iOS. And you don't need two devices to make it work, you can use a single device. I've been doing it for months with both my iPhone and Android Nexus 7 (individually with a single device, not two).

Here are some instructions I wrote for the D850 Users group on Facebook:

If you cannot connect via Bluetooth already and want to start from scratch with a new pairing, be sure to delete your camera from within the SnapBridge app AND within the Bluetooth settings of your device, as well as forget your device from the Bluetooth menu on the camera, all three must be deleted. If you already have a working Bluetooth connection from SnapBridge, you are already set. To clarify—you can’t create a new connection to the same device with any previous settings still hanging around.

Creating the Bluetooth pairing is very easy (if you haven’t already). Just walk through the steps in the SnapBridge app and choose Connect to smart device on the camera menu. As long as no previous settings are still in there, it should pair up quite easily. If you have multiple Bluetooth devices that you have connected to your camera with (iPhone, iPad, and Nexus 7 in my case), you can speed up future re-connections by going into Bluetooth in the camera menu, selecting paired devices, and choosing the device you are trying to connect with.

To enable Wi-Fi for qDslrDashboard to work, click Download Pictures. If you haven’t yet been able to re-connect with a previously established Bluetooth pairing, this should almost immediately connect via Bluetooth, especially if you already chose your device in the camera’s menu in the previous step. Next SnapBridge will say “Connecting to camera, starting camera Wi-Fi”, etc. and eventually prompt to join the Wi-Fi network for you. CANCEL this step instead of clicking Join! While it might work, you won’t be able to switch to any other apps like qDslrDashboard without SnapBridge immediately disabling the Wi-Fi before you can do anything. Instead, immediately go to your phone or tablet settings and manually connect to your camera’s Wi-Fi. The camera’s Wi-Fi won’t stay enabled for long waiting for a connection, so if you don’t do it pretty quickly, you won’t find it enabled anymore on the camera or see it in the Wi-Fi list of your device. In which case, go back to SnapBridge, click Download pictures and try again. By the way, you can connect via Wi-Fi with any device you desire when the camera is in this state, including your Mac, Windows, or Linux computer. It doesn’t have to be the same device that you used to enable Wi-Fi. It would be simpler of course if Nikon just allowed us to enable Wi-Fi directly on the camera without SnapBridge at all! But this works very reliably if you follow it exactly.

Once you have manually established a Wi-Fi connection via the settings of your device outside of SnapBridge, you are free to open any other app like qDlsrDashboard. It will keep the connection until you close qDslrDashboard or go out of range. Once you close qDlsrDashboard, you will have to start all over again with SnapBridge.

P.S. I did not have to enable Auto link in SnapBridge for any of this to work, although if your intent is to have GPS geotagging of all your images via Bluetooth from your smartphone throughout the day, you’ll probably want to turn on Auto link. You may suffer severe battery life as a result on both phone and camera though; I haven’t tested it enough yet to gauge how much.
Reji

Post by Reji »

What version of qDSLRDashboard are you using?
aaronpriest

Post by aaronpriest »

I'm using 3.5.6 on iOS and 3.5.5 on Android.
Reji

Post by Reji »

Where did you get version 3.5.6 for iOS, every time I try to get it from iTunes store I get a item not available message.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Latest version is V3.5.5.
V3.5.6 is still in development and it will be released soon.
Reji

Post by Reji »

Ok, so where can I get version 3.5.5. for iOs ?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

If you already purchased qDslrDashboard for iOS you can uninstall it and then follow this guide: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201272
to install the latest V3.5.5 (it will still display V3.5.4)