Lost connection with Nikon D810 and D850

qDslrDashbord error reports
NotASpeckOfCereal

Re: Lost connection with Nikon D810 and D850

Post by NotASpeckOfCereal »

My tests since the last posts:

Last night: I did a long sequence with 7 second intervals, no crash, over a thousand captures before manually stopping the sequence. Note however that I have had long sequences before with 4 second intervals (it crashes most of the time, but not every time), so this isn't an absolute success indicator.

This morning: I brought the interval down to 6 seconds: crash after only 50 captures. Here are the settings:

Dashboard settings
Longest Exp: 2"
Widest Aperture: 2.8
Max ISO: 64
All other settings: same as previous detailed post.

Exposure settings of last image before crash
Shutter: 1.3 seconds
Aperture: f2.8
ISO: 64
Exposure conditions: constant indoor lighting, unchanging.

So it's crash crashing with a 1.3 second exposure and a 6 second interval. I don't think this crash is due to the interval being too short. I've done far tighter squeezes with the $19 Chinese interval meter.

Let me know if there's anything else I can try for you.

Chris
earthshaker

Post by earthshaker »

This is the same issue, I have been describing with my D7200 and my new Galaxy Tab A 8" (SM-T350) Running Android OS v 7.1.1, using USB or Wifi, but I can't manage over 100 frames. Even using an external intervalometer. When I installed QDD on my new tablet, I did make note that I got a pop up that read "this app may not be optimized for this device" with my old tablet A galaxy tab 4-7, I can connect and fire away, with no issues, even after 600 frames connected via WiFi.
NotASpeckOfCereal

earthshaker wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 12:44 This is the same issue, I have been describing with my D7200 and my new Galaxy Tab A 8" (SM-T350) Running Android OS v 7.1.1, using USB or Wifi, but I can't manage over 100 frames. Even using an external intervalometer. When I installed QDD on my new tablet, I did make note that I got a pop up that read "this app may not be optimized for this device" with my old tablet A galaxy tab 4-7, I can connect and fire away, with no issues, even after 600 frames connected via WiFi.
earthshaker, do you recall what your intervals were, in seconds, for the sequences that would stop at or before 100 frames?

Chris
NotASpeckOfCereal

FYI: I just did a sequence with 5 second intervals in Auto HG.

The SS started at 1", but went down to the max SS of 2" quickly.

The aperture started at f5.6 and worked down to the max aperture of f2.8.

The max ISO was set at 400, but the above 2 settings were enough, so it never moved from 64.

It was successful up to the point I stopped it at over 1,000 shots (over 2,000 if you count the small JPGs) .

Two questions:
  • If a 5" interval is too short for 2" exposures (as previously mentioned), why didn't I get any crashes.
  • Is there any way we can get error detection in the app that would put a message box on our screen, with an error message or at least an error number, that we can send to you to give you a better indication of why the crash occurred?
Edit: this was wired, with the Nikon D850

Chris