Thoughts on open-sourcing qDslrDashboard?

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
NRedd

Thoughts on open-sourcing qDslrDashboard?

Post by NRedd »

I noticed in this old thread some discussion about potentially open-sourcing qDslrDashboard, and would like to restart this conversation. There are many competent programmers out there who both use qDslrDashboard and would enjoy contributing to the project, myself included--I can only imagine how far the community could take it if we worked together :-)

This is, of course, entirely at the discretion of @hubaiz; managing an open-source project is wonderfully time-consuming, and the process of converting an existing project to open-source is itself full of logistical challenges. Either way, consider the possibilities!
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on open-sourcing qDslrDashboard?

Post by hubaiz »

DslrDashboard was open source and no one contributed a single line, so why would be different in case of qDslrDashboard?
NRedd

Post by NRedd »

Well, my schedule is pretty free for the next couple of months and I've been looking for a new side project (in addition to time-lapsing, of course), so I can guarantee that at least one person will spend time on it :)

Just to get an idea, what does the software stack look like? I've played with Android SDK in the past and have quite a bit of Java and C/C++ experience.
parkerlreed

Post by parkerlreed »

For some people, trusting a binary release isn't always the best thing. Having more eyes on a project can't hurt.

This would allow people to review the code themselves, and enable contributions in case someone wants to help the project.

Personally, I would just like to compile it myself. Many of the bundled dependencies I already have on my system. I would rather it link against what I have rather than the prebuilts that could be doing anything.
boughtonp

Post by boughtonp »

hubaiz wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 08:18 DslrDashboard was open source and no one contributed a single line, so why would be different in case of qDslrDashboard?
Free/Open Source Software is not just about other people contributing code, it's about putting users in control - allowing the source to be viewed and verify what it does and doesn't do to their computer.

I've just wasted a bunch of time and bandwidth re-downloading QT5 libraries that are already on my machine, and I have no way to check whether the 6.6MB qdslrdashboard binary contains malware, so I've gone from excited about finding something better than Entangle to unlikely to even run it.