6D Back Button Focus & QDSLR

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
russellsnr

6D Back Button Focus & QDSLR

Post by russellsnr »

Hi, Trying to work out why when I have the camera (Canon 6D) set to BBF when I connect to QDSLR the camera will not focus via the app.
Anyone help please?
Thanks
Russ
russellsnr

Re: 6D Back Button Focus & QDSLR

Post by russellsnr »

Anyone there :?:
russellsnr

Post by russellsnr »

Try this one more time.
When I have the back button focus set on the 6D or 600D I cannot focus with QDSLR A/F is there any way round this please?
Russ
vanbee

Post by vanbee »

Hey there!
I had the same "problem" with my 7D. QDD should give you a message that it cannot work as intended when using custom settings.
The only way to get QDD to focus when connected is to restore the "normal" button configuration. Therefore you have to reset your custom-settings.
My 7D has three different [C1] [C2] [C3] modes on the mode-dial on top of the camera. You can configure each of the modes individually, so my [C1] [C2] use BackButtonFocus for operation when shooting portraits and the [C3] mode is set to "normal" button configuration where you focus by half-pressing the shutter button (as factory default or default by other cameras). My [C3] mode acts as remote mode when I use a remote shutter (either wired or wireless) or QDD (either wired via USB or wireless using the TP-Link router).
I think your 6D has 2 custom modes on its mode-dial and you could set the one to operate correctly using QDD. This saves a lot time avoiding to reconfigure the buttons each time you want to use BBF or vice versa.
Hope I could help you with that.

-vanbee
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

I will check this, not sure if I can set this on the 70D.
qDD uses the Canon camera function that will send a half press shutter button, I guess the problem is this as with your custom settings the half press has not function at all.
russellsnr

Post by russellsnr »

vanbee wrote:Hey there!
I had the same "problem" with my 7D. QDD should give you a message that it cannot work as intended when using custom settings.
The only way to get QDD to focus when connected is to restore the "normal" button configuration. Therefore you have to reset your custom-settings.
My 7D has three different [C1] [C2] [C3] modes on the mode-dial on top of the camera. You can configure each of the modes individually, so my [C1] [C2] use BackButtonFocus for operation when shooting portraits and the [C3] mode is set to "normal" button configuration where you focus by half-pressing the shutter button (as factory default or default by other cameras). My [C3] mode acts as remote mode when I use a remote shutter (either wired or wireless) or QDD (either wired via USB or wireless using the TP-Link router).
I think your 6D has 2 custom modes on its mode-dial and you could set the one to operate correctly using QDD. This saves a lot time avoiding to reconfigure the buttons each time you want to use BBF or vice versa.
Hope I could help you with that.

-vanbee
Hi, Thank you for that I never gave the setting as a button function a thought.
Russ