qDD internal interval timer accuracy and consistency

qDslrDashbord error reports
mexican

qDD internal interval timer accuracy and consistency

Post by mexican »

Hi Zoltan,
I originally recorded a video of the qDD screen in order to illustrate another problem reported in a different thread ( http://dslrdashboard.info/phpBB3/viewto ... f=6&t=1446 ).
During recording of this video I realized, that the qDD's timer for interval shooting is not always accurate.
The timer in qDD was set to 10s. However if look at the video, you will see (and hear the shutter) that the time intervals between the shots are not always 10secs.

My first assumption was, that qDD attempted to download the captured images twice (see my comment in the other thread) and this may caused the timer to come out of sync.
The image quality was set to RAW+JPG (basic small) which generated JPEG files sized about 1,2MB (which I think should not be problem to transfer on time even if the files are transferred twice)

Since then I made couple of another attempts but I was not able to reproduce the behavior. I even tried to put the mobile device (iPad AIR) to a bigger distance from the camera in order to slow the transfer speed down.

This is the URL of my video is
https://youtu.be/6qKzXBshwjY

On the video shutter was triggered at following times

00:07
00:20 (13s instead of 10)
00:32 (12s instead of 10)
00:40 (8s instead of 10)
00:50 (10s which is correct, but two successive shots)
01:00 (10s correct)
01:10 (10s correct)
01:20 (10s correct)
01:30 (10s correct)
01:40 (10s correct)

The equipment used during this attempt was

Nikon D750, conneced via camera's internal Wifi
qDD 0.3.4 running on iPad Air with iOS 9.2.1
mexican

Re: qDD internal interval timer accuracy and consistency

Post by mexican »

Today I figured out something what may help you to solve the issue.
I noticed, that right after the qDD app connects to the camera, there is a lots of things going on between the application and the camera. The camera LED indicating access to the SD cars(s) was flashing for about 2 minutes. During this period of time the whole user interface was laggy and also interval timer was doing everything else but trigerring the shutter at predefined time interval. The shutter was even triggered couple of times after I stopped the timer and closed the interval timer dialog.

I made a second attempt immediately (killed the app and re-connected) and the behavior was the same.

After that I formatted the SD card and suddenly everything ran smoothly which means that it has something to do with files existing on the SD card.
Later on I realized that in the application setting there's an option called "Load image infos for images already on camera SD card". Unchecking the option might eventually be helpful, but since I formatted the SD card I was not able to prove it. However, the task of reading image infos should be assigned lower priority so that it doesn't have impact on other functions of the application. Or all application buttons should be disabled until the task has finished.

And by the way the Pause button in the interval timer dialog is not working. Regardless how many times I push it, the timer keeps triggering the shutter.