Auto Holy Grail Tutorial

qDslrDashboard feature request, ideas
USlatin

Auto Holy Grail Tutorial

Post by USlatin »

Can someone direct me to a good 101 tutorial on how to use the auto holy grail function? I searched but I can't seem to find a good clear and thorough tutorial to avoid wasting an obscene amount of time through trial and error. Thank you.

Some of my questions:

1. Last and Floating averages, what do these numbers mean, how are they calculated. These are obviously some kind of representation of the overall brightness of the shot, but since they are paramount we need to REALLY know them and fully understand how they work, and how they are calculated.

2. The overall workflow is very confusing. I would really appreciate a clear and thorough step-by-step to setting it up, and keeping it going with adjustments, that explained how everything works and what everything does.

3. How can I keep the Display Next JPG from getting unchecked? This seems to be a bug, or user error, or simply that I haven't spent enough hours with trial and error to figure out how it is all designed and meant to be used.

Thank you so much for your time in answering this post and to Zoltan for coding this application
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Auto Holy Grail Tutorial

Post by hubaiz »

In the qDslrDashboard manual I did describe the LRTimelapse screen ( http://dslrdashboard.info/download/qdsl ... nual-v1-1/ )
Also Gunther do explain in his book: http://lrtimelapse.com/shop/ebook/

1) There is 'Floating average' and 'Reference'. Both of the values represent a value calculated from the image histogram.
By doing a sample capture you will get a 'Reference' value that is used during the 'Auto holy grail' sequence for shutter/ISO/aperture correction. For the 'Floating average' the last average o the last calculated values is used. Depending on the AHG direction qDslrDashboard will do the correction if the 'Floating average' goes beyond/above the 'Reference' value.

2) Do a sample capture to get the 'Reference' value. Set the LRT direction (sunset, sunrise). Set slowest shutter, min ISO, max ISO. Enable LRT with the 'Auto holy grail' button. Start your interval timer.

3) 'Display next JPG' is only used while 'Auto holy grail' is not enabled. You can long press it to have it turned on.