Help to understand connection

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
presco

Help to understand connection

Post by presco »

Hi all, new member and tech novice here.

I am thrilled to have an app available to link my iPad to my dslr (Canon 5D MK2) but am having difficulty understanding how to get a wireless connection between the two?

As i photograph outdoors my aim is to be able to download the photos from the camera to the iPad so that they can be sent via the mobile network.

Basically I have a HooToo Tripmate which provides a portable wireless network (it can also be wired to a network via a network cable if a wired network was available). I am using this to create a wifi network and then connecting the iPad to it wirelessly, the device is then connected (wired) to the cameras USB connection using the USB cable supplied .

My difficulty is that when I launch the Qdslr app and attempt to connect to the camera, the app doesn't recognise the camera and does not form a connection.

Once the wifi area is setup, I am connecting the iPad to the wifi in iPad settings and the app which comes with the HooToo Tripmate connects fine so it is definitely recognising the wireless signal from the device but the device doesn't show as being connected to the camera.

Can anyone help?

Apologies if this topic should be posted in a different category but its my first time in a forum.

Thanks
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Help to understand connection

Post by hubaiz »

Connection with the camera when used the 'Network' button is done with the DslrDashboardServer (ddserver - https://github.com/hubaiz/DslrDashboardServer)
The ''ddserver' is running on the TP-Link portable wireless router (or any other router that support OpenWrt or Linux)
The camera is connected to the wireless router with USB
The controlling device (iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, OSX) is then connected with wireless (or wired) to the portable router.
Allorb

Post by Allorb »

I looked briefly at the Hootoo a while back and seem to recall some issue with connecting to cameras. Don't recall details.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Allorb wrote:I looked briefly at the Hootoo a while back and seem to recall some issue with connecting to cameras. Don't recall details.
It is not clear to me what you wrote.