Any one using the Raspberry Pi 2?

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Boort

Any one using the Raspberry Pi 2?

Post by Boort »

Hello, I'm new to dslrDashboard. I found the old Android app would not run on my even older cellphone.
I recently picked up a Raspberry Pi 2 - Model B mini-computer and was trying to set up dslrDashboard.

Using the latest Noobs install that came with my Rpi2 I was able to install raspbian and update it with

Code: Select all

pi@pi2 ~ $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade;sudo apt-get autoclean
Per the download page I setup the GPU RAM = 512 using raspi-config utility.
Rebooted the pi system.

pi@pi2 ~ $ sudo apt-get install libjpeg62 
The install of libjpeg62 packages got rid of an error message about missing libjpeg.so.

Logged into the system using ssh from my system running X11. Then ran & got the following ouput:

pi@pi2 ~ $ cd qDslrDashboard_V0.2.7_RPI2/
pi@pi2 ~/qDslrDashboard_V0.2.7_RPI2 $ ./qDslrDashboard.sh 
pi@pi2 ~/qDslrDashboard_V0.2.7_RPI2 $ Unable to query physical screen size, defaulting to 100 dpi.
To override, set QT_QPA_EGLFS_PHYSICAL_WIDTH and QT_QPA_EGLFS_PHYSICAL_HEIGHT (in millimeters).
PulseAudioService: pa_context_connect() failed
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong and how I can get the program to start?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Any one using the Raspberry Pi 2?

Post by hubaiz »

qDD on RPI2 will not run in the x11 envrioment.
You should stop the x11 and then run qDD.
chlorisdroid

Post by chlorisdroid »

Hi,
not on a Pi2 but on an odroid-c1 http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php I was able to compile and get the dd-server running. Having attached a usb wifi dongle to the odroid it is possible to use PC (linux) and even my tablet to control the camera. The camera (EOS) is connected with a usb cable to the odroid.
See more on https://blog.georgmill.de/ soon
Boort

Post by Boort »

Hubaiz

AAh, I was expecting the Display to go to my X11 server. Does this mean that I need to hook up a monitor to the Rpi2? Or that only the dd-server has been built for the Rpi2?

chlorisdroid

Very cool project you have going there with your mini time lapse slider. That is similar to what I want to get working with my Rpi2. I'm looking to build a short slider for doing some Macro Focus stacking. I wanted to be able to manually focus, then have a script from qDD take a pic, advance the stepper, take a pic... then be able to send the pics over wifi to my desktop once I'm back home.

Boort
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

qDslrDashboard will only work in full screen mode using eglfs.
Qt (the framework that I use) uses OpenGL for display. On RPi2 (and 1 to) there is no OpenGL driver for x11, this should change if they once release the new Maynard image as it uses Wayland (not sure when this will happen)
chlorisdroid

Post by chlorisdroid »

@Boort
Thank you. My big 2meter camera slider can also be used for focus stacking as you described it. So it is easy to build it just as small or big as you wish.
By the way, OpenGL works on the Odroid-C1. If I havesome time in the near future to test this I`ll post it here.
See example for it here:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=7909
Boort

Post by Boort »

hubaiz

Thanks for the explanation; I did not realize that "eglfs" meant openGL ES. What do the other backends do?
eglfs = Native OpenGL ES
linuxfb = Linux frame buffer
minimal
minimalegl
offscreen
xcb

I dug around in my pile and found an HDMI-DVi cable so I could connect a monitor. I now have the program running.
Looks like I'm going to need to get a touchscreen for this PI, what is the minimum resolution you recommend for running qDD?

Also what type of cable can be used to connect a Nikon D700?

Thank you again for your time and assistance.
Boort
Boort

Post by Boort »

Thanks for the Info. Very interesting.
I guess coming from desktop Linux I was expecting the linuxfb or XCB back ends to work.

Looking around the interface I found the GUI scale option. But it is a LONG way from my desktop monitor down to 240x320
Would it be possible to run qDD on something like this 240x320 touchscreen ( https://www.adafruit.com/product/1601 )

I'm working to build a miniature setup like this ( https://learn.adafruit.com/touchscreen- ... r/hardware ) With qDD as the brains of the operation having access to more than just the shutter button.

I was originally thinking of running just the DD-server, and running the frontent on android, but I can't run qDD from any of my hand-me-down phones/tablets. (All too old). so now I'm looking to make the front and back ends all-in-one so I have less devices to carry and keep charged in the field.

Boort