"Floating average" / "Reference" / "Set reference now"

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
ramos.miguel1977

"Floating average" / "Reference" / "Set reference now"

Post by ramos.miguel1977 »

Hi,

I'm still struggling to understand it and how to use these settings.

I've been through the manual but still would appreciate your help.
So, while shooting a Sunset Holy Grail Timelapse and if the photos are still much brighter than the night around me, what should I do to make the photos darker? Reduce the reference?

Regards

Miguel
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: "Floating average" / "Reference" / "Set reference now"

Post by hubaiz »

Your workflow should be
- setup your camera exposure parameters
- take a sample capture. qDslrDashboard will analyze the captured JPG histogram and calculate the reference value
- setup 'slowest shutter speed', 'max iso', correction direction
- enable LrTimelapse auto correction by pressing the 'Auto holy grail' button (turns red)
- start external interval timer or the qDslrDashboard interval timer (be sure that the interval is longer 3-4 seconds then your slowest shutter speed)
- as the capture is finished qDD will download the JPG, analyze the histogram and calculate the 'floating average'
- depending on the reference/floating average qDslrDashboard will correct the camera shutter speed/iso/aperture

- if you need to do some small correction you can do it with the 'Reference' +/- button or with the 'Set reference now' button
ramos.miguel1977

Post by ramos.miguel1977 »

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.
So, if I press Set Reference Now, will the Reference become equals to the Floating Average?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Yes
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Just to correct myself it will be set to 'Floating average' +/-10% depending on direction (sunrise/sunset)
v.mendus

Post by v.mendus »

Hi Zoltan,
first of all thank you for your great app.
I’m using Note4 + D750, latest qdd version and I have another question regarding the LRT settings, particularly "Average pool size" and "Correction every frame".
- The number of frames taken at every correction is always CEF+1, like if I set CEF to 1 only every second frame is analyzed although the manual said it shall be for every shot. Likewise for CEF=5 it is then for every 6th frame. What is the reason for that?
- For Average pool size settings I’ve done some tests to check the difference in results but I couldn’t find any. So I set APS to OFF and start Auto Holy Grail at the bright light. If during one of the “measured” frames I close the lens with my palm the histogram value drops down from 20000 to 200. If I set APS to 3 or 5 and do the same – covering the lens at 3rd or 5th measured frame (or any other in the sequence, I played a lot) it still drops to exactly same value of 200 even though I would expect it to be higher like average of three: (20k+20k+200)/3=13000. So to me looks like the is no average measurement and the histogram values is always from the last frame in the set.
What do you think? Or did I miss any point?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

There is 1 safe frame so that qDD does not perform the same correction 2 times.

The average pool is reset if qDD performs a correction.
v.mendus

Post by v.mendus »

Clear, thanks!