is ddServer "dumb"?

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
gadgetfreak

is ddServer "dumb"?

Post by gadgetfreak »

Hello,
I have a camera (Canon 50D) in a remote location in a weatherproof box (power is available) for timelapse. Now I would like to get the images immediately after beeing shot!
First I tried to set it up with an LTE Android phone running qDD, which worked fine, since the images will be stored automatically an the phone and I can synchronize/upload them automatically via FTP/Dropbox/etc... But the problem is that its really hard to find a (LTE) phone which does OTG and charges simultanuosly!
So I thought of getting a cheap openWRT router! I already got a LTE router which would serve the connection to the internet via LAN cable. The whole set up would be
Camera -> USB -> openWRT router -> LAN -> LTE router
Now my question is if ddServer could manage something like that to upload all images to a remote FTP server? Or is ddServer "dumb" and only a "bridge" application for a qDD device/application?
If yes, would it maybe possible to have a device (e.g. RPi2) which would act as ddServer and qDD simultanuosly? The qDD connecting to ddServer @ 127.0.0.1 and doing the storage of the images!?
Thank you
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: is ddServer "dumb"?

Post by hubaiz »

It is 'dumb' but I would rather call it proxy as it forwards the PTP packets between qDD and the USB connected DSLR (https://github.com/hubaiz/DslrDashboardServer)

I never tested it but I presume you should be able to run both on the same device.
gadgetfreak

Post by gadgetfreak »

Thanks for the answer. As installing it on a RPi2 I mixed it up. As qDD is running on the RPi2 directly there is no need in running a ddServer simultanuosly :oops:
If qDD is behaving the same way on the RPi2 as on an android phone it would be sufficient to run qDD on the RPi2, store the images on the RPi2 and then let it upload them via the connected LTE router! Or am I wrong?
camera -> USB -> RPi2 -> LAN -> LTE router
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Yep you are correct.