interval doubles

qDslrDashbord error reports
BarbaraN

interval doubles

Post by BarbaraN »

First, thank you for this software -- it's a great help. The interval suddenly changed from 18 sec to 36 sec during the time-lapse. Here's my configuration:

Nikon D810, TP Link 3040, ipad air 2 running iOS 8.3, Qdsldashboard 2.9
Holy Grail: min/max aper: 11/2.8, Min/Max shutter speed: 1/20 15sec, interval: 18 sec

On the frame that the shutter speed went to 15 sec, the interval went to 36 sec and stayed there for the duration of the time lapse. The next night I had similar settings and the interval doubled about every 5 - 8 frames for 1 frame. When I use an intervalometer directly attached to the camera, I get no variation in the interval with a 3 second gap between longest shutter speed and interval.
Willyao

Re: interval doubles

Post by Willyao »

Hi, i have similar problems, but not exactly the same.
My interval will have a random amount of time, for example if i set the interval at 6 seconds, it will vary from 5,8,7,10, and when i ramp the interval to something like 10 seconds, the actual interval will jump from 11,17,10,18,9... it looks really random and i don't see any clues in it.
The amount of actual exposure is inaccurate as the timer in lrtimelapse indicated, it's alot less than the software says
Using 0.2.9,don't think this problem occur in the early 0.2 days
lkunl

Post by lkunl »

Maybe your 'dark time' is too short. Try to increase dark time to 4s -6s. :D
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

Interval did not dubble, you have set too short interval.
When triggering camera from qDD you must add some time needed to write photo to memory card and to download it to device. 3s is not enough time for big files from D810.

Setting camera to write RAWs + smallest JPEGs (basic small) might speed up process, but I would recommend setting longer interval - at least 5s longer than longest shutter speed.
BarbaraN

Post by BarbaraN »

I did a test last night trying dark times from 3 - 8 seconds. All those intervals resulted in dropped frames. There were fewer dropped frames at 8 seconds, but still some were dropped. This is the Nikon D810 with TPLink MR 3040, iPad air running iOS 8.4. qdslrdashboard is 2.9. I was saving raw + basic files, which are the smallest jpg's. I have turned off push for my mail app and all auto updates of software on the iPad. Any other ideas?
lkunl

Post by lkunl »

What is speed of you CF card? Maybe your card speed too low. Try to use fastest card you can buy.
If still have problem you should try Andoird version. Andorid are more faster and realible wifi than IOS.
fazon1

Post by fazon1 »

Hi,
I had the same problem last night. I use Nikon D810 connected to a Sony Xperia M with USB-OTG.
When the gap between the interval and the longest shutter speed become less then 4 second the camera started to skip every second shoot.

When I use an external intervalometer it works perfectly with much shorter time gap. So I assume is not an issue related with speed of the card.

Then only two factors which can cause this problem.
1. The connection (in my case the usb-otg cable) is too slow.
or
2. The tablet (Sony smartphone /Xperia M/) when i run qDD is too slow.

Please could you help me figure out how to solve this problem .

Cheers,
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

It's not cable nor phone.
It's time needed to write photo to card.

With external intervalometer pictures are stored in camera buffer and written to card in background.
When you release shutter with qDD next photo can be taken only if previous one is written to card/downloaded to remote device.
fazon1

Post by fazon1 »

Thank you . I got a sdxc I U3 10 card and now i can shoot with a 2-3 second gap instead of 4 second on the Nikon nD810. In the meantime an another problem arised. I just got a new Sony Rx 10 II and I `m able to connect the phone with the app but I can`t change any of the exposure setting. I updated the Sony`s Smart Remote Control app but no improvement. Is this camera already supported? I know the Sony RX 10 supported ..
Thanks