USB "root"

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
klausesser

USB "root"

Post by klausesser »

Hi!

In the documentation i found THIS sentence:
"Use ‘root’ for USB access – Android only. If the Android device is ‘rooted’ the application can try and use it during the USB connection. Can help on some Android devices that have not full USB Host function."

I have a 7" Galaxy Tablet 3 - it seems not to provide USB-host. I´m thinking about ordering a 7" Tablet 4 - but it also doesn´t provide USB-Host.
Not a too big issue - because i anyway will use my TP-Link for controlling the D800. That works very well - and the tablet is rather cheap.
The USB-Host/OTG capable 10" Tablets cost almost twice the price of the 7" - and for just evaluating the whole thing that´s pretty much . .

Does "use 'root' for USB access . . " mean there might be a work-around the missing "USB-host"? (just an idea :mrgreen: )

best, Klaus
GonzoG

Re: USB "root"

Post by GonzoG »

Yes it can be a workaround but the are 2 things that tablet must meet:
1. hardware must support USB-OTG - Galaxy Tab 4 7" SM-T230 does not.
2. system must support USB-OTG - depends on system you install after rooting.
klausesser

Post by klausesser »

GonzoG wrote:Yes it can be a workaround but the are 2 things that tablet must meet:
I know - that´s why i asked about a way to work around this issue.
GonzoG wrote: 2. system must support USB-OTG - depends on system you install after rooting.
If "System" means the OS installed: it´s 4.4.2 KitKat. Or what does "System" mean?

I´m completely new to Android and to other devices than Apples (MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad). So please forgive me some
fuzzyness . . :mrgreen:

best, Klaus
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

klausesser wrote:
GonzoG wrote:Yes it can be a workaround but the are 2 things that tablet must meet:
I know - that´s why i asked about a way to work around this issue.
If hardware does not support USB-host function there is no way around it.
klausesser wrote:
GonzoG wrote: 2. system must support USB-OTG - depends on system you install after rooting.
If "System" means the OS installed: it´s 4.4.2 KitKat. Or what does "System" mean?

I´m completely new to Android and to other devices than Apples (MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad). So please forgive me some
fuzzyness . . :mrgreen:
Yes, this means Android but Android is made different for each device and that Android 3+ generally supports USB-OTG doesn't meat that a version for a specific device will support it.
klausesser

Post by klausesser »

GonzoG wrote: Yes, this means Android but Android is made different for each device and that Android 3+ generally supports USB-OTG doesn't meat that a version for a specific device will support it.
That´s one of the reasons i decided back in 1985 to use Macs instead of Windows-PCs - and still do . . :mrgreen:
I supposed Androd would be a good way to bypass Windows on Tablets and Phones - being an alternative to Apple.

best regards ad thank you for respondig!

Klaus