LRT gives overexposed images

qDslrDashbord error reports
Miksel

LRT gives overexposed images

Post by Miksel »

Hello,
I tried many times with V0.2.9. No matter whether for sunset or sunrise I get overexposure with android 5.1.1 nexus7 on D800E with the LRT function. qdd corrects exp. time and Iso but too fast with 3av and 2 frames for correction. Also pushing the minus reference button can not prevent overexposure in auto holy gral mode. Also no difference if autocorrection is off. I will try V0.3.0 tonight for sunset and will post results tomorrow. I suggest a redesign of the auto holy gral algorithm.
Miksel
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: LRT gives overexposed images

Post by hubaiz »

Can you post the exact settings you used?
slowest shutter speed, max iso, starting shutter/iso, interval
Miksel

Post by Miksel »

Hello Zoltan,
here is the data you requested:
slowest shutter speed=10 sec.
max iso=1600
starting shutter speed= 1/640
iso=100
interval=120 sec
I choose a long interval not to get too many files during testing. Yesterday I took another test with V0.3 build 5. It worked better, day-night transisiton. Time and iso nicely adjusted as expected without manual intervention of the reference value.
This time I choose an interval of 30 sec. It ended up with 10 sec shutter speed and iso 1600. But still I have the feeling that dark at night it will run in overexposed conditions. At midnight I switched from sunset to sunrise but then in the morning all images were taken with the latest settings 10sec and iso 1600. Here I might have made an error I confess. I do not understand why shutter time and iso had not been increased/lowered with the sunrise. However, the tablet had been disconnected in the morning (LRT screen disconneted) but I can not determine the time when it disconnected. I like the app a lot and will continue testing each night. Hope you can give some hints how I shall modify testing conditions. I am using an external powerbank for power supply for the whole night. I think I must raise the output power, which may have an effect that the tablet lost connection after midnight. Can I find a log file on the android nexus 7 2012 ? Guess you have the same tablet than I. Tonight I will start for sunrise at midnight with a fully charged powerbank 16000 to check whether connection will be stable. Before installing V0.3 b5 I deleted V0.2.9. Host mode and usb connection, samyang manual lens.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Will try to do some test but I don't have an external power supply so I'm limited to the camera battery. :(

I think you would be better with the 'Auto direction' for sunset/sunrise combination, but will check what happens when the direction is changed while AHG is enabled.

There is also a region option where you can choose a region of the image that will be used for calculation, this could help in situation like when the moon is crossing.
Miksel

Post by Miksel »

I tested the sunrise function last night. Auto correction on, auto holy grail on. Start values: exp. time: 10 sec, iso 1000 (also set as max values). Started at midnight, intervall 90 sec (external timer). At 6 in the morning LRT screen was down only app start screen visible. App did not reconnect over USB connection button. Also could not exit the app. D800 live view could not be activated from the camera (camera mode), after unplugging USB cable from Nexus 7 live view could be activated from the camera switch. Seems the LRT function had been disconnected during the night. Also exp time and iso had not been changed from initial values during sunrise, left a start values. Again after sunrise I switched from sunset mode to sunrise mode. Next night I will freshly start the app at midnight for sunrise only. I will also use original nikon battery for that experiment.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Can you maybe try and turn on the 'Keep screen on' option. Probably Android is killing qDslrDashboard while it is in background.
Miksel

Post by Miksel »

Hello Zoltan,
Last night I started the D800 and nexus 7 5.1.1. (2012) at 23.00 hours. Settings as usual 10 sec, iso 1000, 2.8 (fixed) auto holy grail on. See further settings in the attachment screenshots. Also I checked 'keep on screen' at 5 am in the morning tablet connection had been lost. I could only reconnect the app after I restarted the nexus (works only if USB cable disconnected). Restarting the nexus while USB cable connected can not restart the qdd app. Next time I will sit next to the nexus to see when the connection app-D800 gets lost for sunrise. At 5 am in the morning no adjustments had been taken, camera (camera mode) was still in 10sec. iso 1000.
For my latest sunset experiment I was quite happy with the 'region' function. I could reduce overexposition.
Miksel
Attachments
keep-on-screen.png
keep-on-screen.png (122.91 KiB) Viewed 11848 times
settings-as-started-2300-hours.png
settings-as-started-2300-hours.png (75.46 KiB) Viewed 11848 times
at-5-am.png
at-5-am.png (8.06 KiB) Viewed 11848 times
klausesser

Post by klausesser »

Hi!

I assist! Sometimes it´s almost impossible to get a reliable measuring-information via the app.
In the screenshot you can see that the symbol on the bottom of the screen seems to indicate
"+10EV" - but the symbol "+/-" shows "0.0".

I checked that in "camera mode" and also in "host mode" - makes no difference.

Nikon D800, MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone, Galaxy Tab 3, Android 4.4.2, qslrDashboard 0.3.0 beta 5

regards, Klaus
Miksel

Post by Miksel »

Hello,
yesterday I tested the sunset function. This time without waking the nexus 7 tablet up during 3 hours (starting at 21.00. At 23.00 I woke the nexus tablet up. I saw a fully underexposed image (black) with 1.6 sec and iso 100 on the camera. Adjustments must have stopped soon after 21.00 hours. Started a 1/640 iso 100 (21.00). Region had been set to a sky area. Holy grail mode, no autodirection. Adjustments in exposure time were taken from 1/640 to 1.6 sec and then stopped. While testing the sunset function before I woke up the tablet at least every 20 min. Connection seems to get lost over a longer period of not touching the tablet ('keep on screen function' activated).
Miksel
Wire14

Post by Wire14 »

Hi Miksel,

I have the same problem. In my case no adjustments were made but the jpegs were transfered to the tablet if the screen is turned off. So the connection was stable all the time. Maybe in your next test you can unmark the option deled thumbs after closing qdd and test it again with the screen turned off. If, like in my case, the pictures are transferd but no changes are made there must be an other problem than the connection.

Cheers, Chris