Auto focus in live view

qDslrDashbord error reports
Have None

Auto focus in live view

Post by Have None »

I using a 5dmiii and the auto focus box in live view does not change the camera's focus spot.

When I touch an area in live view that I want to focus on the box move's, I get an focus lock beep, I take the photo but the actual focus does not change.

I tested this many times, focusing different areas near and far and the focus never changes from where I have it set in the camera.

Any suggestions.

BTW I'm using the latest version of the app

Thanks
cathy

Re: Auto focus in live view

Post by cathy »

Hi are you using the TP-Link MR-3040 router ? Or USB cable to PC or Android tablet ?
What lens are you using ? Is the lens in manual mode or Auto focus mode ?

In Qdslrdashboard have you selected the AF button first then touched the area you want to focus on ?

There are so many variables .... Can you tell us the whole setup .
Cathy
Have None

Post by Have None »

More Info,
I'm using the 3040 router with usb cable to android tablet.
Canon 5D MIII w Canon 16-35L auto focus lens in Auto focus mode. Tried different auto focus modes.

In Qdslr -Dash I tried both with the AF activated and manual, then move the focus box around the screen to focus in different areas.

The camera in M mode.
Focus in one-shot, tried different modes.
Focus area to one dot center - tried most modes.

Thanks
cathy

Post by cathy »

Hi .... I spent the afternoon here in Australia testing out several different setups and all the canon cameras with my IPad 4th Gen IOS 9.1 I had the same problem as you are having in a way that I connected my TP-Link MR-3040 router with the latest custom firmware of Qdslrdashboard on it to my canon 5D mark 3 with the canon 16-35mm F/2.8 L II set to manual on the lens and the App would start and work but no Auto focus ......If I flicked the switch on my 16-35mm lens to auto the app would blow out so I turned the camera off and the lens switch back to manual and turned the camera back on and started Qdslrdashboard up again and the app worked ok but could not auto focus at all .....
I then tried my Canon 70D with its built in WiFi the same results so I turned the built in wifi off on the 70D and tried the TP-Link MR-3040 connected to the Canon 70D and the same results as the Canon 5D 2 and 3 .......
So I tried my Nikon D810 with the TP-Link MR-3040 all worked ok on the Nikon D810 so it looks like there maybe something Wrong with the canon code on version 0.3.1 for the iPad .

I see you have a android and you are using the latest version ? Which version 2.9 or version 3.0 ......on my Android I still use version 2.9 with my canon 5D mark 2 and have no problems ......if you have 3.0 try going back to 2.9 and see how it works .

I will now test on My Samsung Galaxy note 2014 Edition running kitkat ....version 3.0 Qdslrdashboard with the TP-Link MR-3040 router connected to my Canon 5D mark 3 with my 16-35mm F/2.8 L II ....I will let you know my Results soon .

Ok tried it out with the setup above (Android ) auto focus worked like it should on the android version 2.9 and version 3.0...
Hope this helps still won't work on the IOS version :oops:

I will copy this and add it to my other error reports listing ...
Cathy
Have None

Post by Have None »

I'm using Android Tab 4 with Lollipop using V3.0.

I'll try 2.9 and will update with the results.

Thanks